Mts. Major, Straightback, North Straightback,

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed'n Lauky

Reaction score
Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of S
Snow was not a factor today. There was just a slight dusting near and on the summit. Lauky made use of it for hydration purposes.

There were patches of ice here and there on the trail but it was generally fairly easy to avoid it. There was significant ice on the upper ledges which needed to be bypassed.

The steep upper ledges were not too difficult going up, but some care needed to be taken when descending as they were a bit slick.

The views were spectacular today and there was no wind at the top. The trails beyond Major (Major-Straightback, Straightback--Anna, Quarry, Quarry spur) were all clearly marked and easy to follow.

No special equipment required, but care needs to be taken with the ice on the upper ledges.

Because of an early start we had the trails to ourselves until we arrived back on Major after doing the loop. Back up on Major the second time we met Cinder and her mom and dad. It was fun running into them like that.

While descending from Mt. Major at one point in order to avoid the ice I moved to my right on what I thought was a herd path. After a few minutes I realized it was not a herd path but rather a very nice unmarked trail. From my GPS I could see it was cutting diagonally back to the trailhead so I decided to follow it. Despite being unmarked, the trail had been brushed or swept of leaves and was very easy to follow. It joined the Boulder trail just above the two bridges. The junction was unmarked, but about 100 yards in there was a trail sign that said "Express Trail." Very curious. This trail is not mentioned in the guide book and was not on my map. Is this a trail known only to the "inner circle"? :confused: