Vast NE Ski Areas that Never Happened

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amicus

Reaction score
Today's Boston Globe includes this interesting article about a few serious projects for vast ski areas that would have changed the face of hiking in Maine and NH:

-A vast area in Evans Notch, with runs down the Baldfaces,

-Another in Willard Notch, with a hotel on the summit of Starr King and an entire ravine clear-cut, to resemble Tuckermans Ravine, and

-What would have been the biggest ski resort in New England, with an international airport, on the Bigelows.

A member of Views is quoted at length in this piece. I love to ski, but am happy these didn't pan out.

I believe that the Bigelows ski area - jet port proposal led to the founding of LURC (Maine's Land Use Regulation Commission) in 1971, which pretty much ended those plans. The recently constructed cabins for making back-country ski trips in the Flagstaff Lake -Bigelows area seems to be a much better fit, in my opinion.

I believe that the Bigelows ski area - jet port proposal led to the founding of LURC (Maine's Land Use Regulation Commission) in 1971, which pretty much ended those plans.
Yes, but a subsequent proposal for Olympic games stated that since the state owned the Bigelows it would be easy to build a facility there