Maine Public & Preserved Lands Map

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
The Maine Bureau of Public Lands has recently made some press releases about a "new" map of maines public and preserved lands. If you want a plain paper version you need to write them but the PDF is available on line

http://www.maine.gov/doc/pdf/YML_map.pdf

The areas I find the most interesting are the areas in green shade that are other conserved lands. I wish they had made them more prominent as wehn you add them in, they dwarf the lands in the states controls. Note that the lands are typically reserved from development and still are logged although generally the loggins is held to a sustainable level supported by a thrid party audit.

Nevertheless another map to add to the collection

Very cool. I agree that it would be nice to have the information on the "other preserved lands."

When I worked at Little Lyford a few years ago, there was a map put out by some combination of UMaine, AMC, and Piscataquis county that was just for southern Piscataquis county and had that sort of color-coded public land shading. Very well detailed-- each land unit had the name and owner listed (lots of The Nature Conservancy and AMC stuff in that area), and there were symbols for established campsites, boat launches, trail heads, and so on.

I was wondering where it went to, then I realized I should look on AMC's website. Sure enough, right there. Too bad there aren't more of these kinds of maps for other areas.

The Maine Public Reserve Lands are a treasure. I camped at the Machias MPRL last summer and stayed at a campsite just a few feet from the Machias River. I was the only one there. No fees, no reservations, no garbage on the ground (it was the bizarro Tripoli Rd.) the network of forest roads run on for miles and offer infinite possibilities for outdoor adventure. Here's a link to their search page. Use with care... (the land, not the link)

http://www.maine.gov/cgi-bin/online/doc/parksearch/index.pl