Metal Edge XC ski

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowshoe

Reaction score
Now that I own a pair of Metal edge XC skies, I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to sharpen the edges or a good site that will help me. I heard you can use a fine file. I did that with my downhill and it seemed to work but never was sure if I did it the proper way. Thanks

I use the DMT multi tuner, sharpener. It adjusts to the angle of the sidecut. It's available from most quality ski shops. About 40 bucks. They also make a cheaper version that takes off burrs and maintains an edge. :)

I wouldn't use a file without a guide. Several companies make a whole host of different kinds of edge guide/files. Swix makes a few different types. I think Swix's website has a tutorial on edging too.

I've seen several guides for less than $40. I think I found mine at a yard sale and put a new file in it. Learn to do it yourself and you'll save a lot of money over having a shop do it.

good luck...

spencer

I don't know what the differences are for maintaining metal edges on nordic skis vs alpine. I found the below site helpful when learning to tune my alpine skis. Their equipment prices were much better than a local ski shop. The multi-tuner is a great tool. For a file, what some people do to maintain an angle for bottom edges is to wrap a piece of tape around the file one to three times, depending on the angle desired. The manufacturer should be able to advise the bottom and side angles for your ski and conditions. Also, check with ski shops in your area, I found that some hold clinics for ski tuning. If you have a nordic ski area that provides rentals nearby, whoever does maintenance on their rentals might be a good resource for info too. I also found a couple of good books regarding maintenance for nordic skis through barnes and noble. Neither covered metal edges, but perhaps newer books would.

http://www.tognar.com/

I've been eyeing the newer nordic skis with metal edges, especially those with some side cut. How do you like yours? Any comparison to the old style long skinny boards?

Last edited:
Dugan said:
I've been eyeing the newer nordic skis with metal edges, especially those with some side cut. How do you like yours? Any comparison to the old style long skinny boards?

I have not tried the metal edged skis yet but I have been skiing on a XT ski for a while now. It is a cross between a backcountry and classic ski. They just dont have the edges. After using the XT ski I found a hudge difference in skiing off trail and deeper snow as compared to the classic (Long Skinny ski). I was also using a touring boot/binding with my XT. This made it a little harder to turn and use in steeper terrain. I managed with this system only bacause I have been skiing for so long now. If I put a BC binding with BC shoes on the XT then Turning would have been easier but still not as easy as a metal edge. I got the Karhu Pavos only because I got a great deal on them, otherwise I would have just stuck with the XT ski since they served my purpose.
If you are using the classic I would make the switch. At least to an XT ski You will notice a hudge difference.

Last edited:
snowshoe said:
Now that I own a pair of Metal edge XC skies, I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to sharpen the edges or a good site that will help me. I heard you can use a fine file. I did that with my downhill and it seemed to work but never was sure if I did it the proper way. Thanks

The tool I use is from Swix:
http://www.swixsport.com/ie5D499.htm

It's available at most ski shops.

The tognar site has good base prep advice, as others have noted. Another great resource is "Cross-Country Skiing" by John Dostal and Ned Gillette. I simply can not recommend this book highly enough.

A word of caution. IMO, base prep is an area where the law of dimishing returns applies. Some of the info you will find is geared towards peak performance. My approach is to get ok performance with the minimum of fuss. Some loose thoughts here:
http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/DirtbagPinner/tuning.html

Hope this helps. Comments welcome.

Dugan said:

Some are just older "telemark" designs that have been lightened up. They've become fashionably narrow by comparison to wide telemark skis, which appear to be continuing to grow in width with no end in sight.

A few, like the Fischer Rebound seem to be truely new designs built for backcountry touring.

In general, I think the wider skis need a bit beefier boots like the Karhu Sirius or plastic Garmont Excursion. I also think the give up striding speed for more maneveurability compared to trad skis.

This month's Backcountry Magazine has a good review of current models of skis, boots and bindings for backcountry touring.

My thoughts on the different possibilities out there are here but it is longer than most folks will want to dig through. Comments and feedback are always appreciated.
http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/DirtbagPinner/bc-skis.html

Hope this helps