Mont Albert beta

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arghman

Reaction score
Goffstown, NH Avatar: No Once-lers or thneeds
I need some feedback re: Mont Albert in the Gaspe. I haven't hiked in that area before and I need to relate it to my experiences in the Presidential Range.

How does it compare w/r/t the trails around the Presidential Range in terms of
- difficulty
- bailout options / frequency-of-use

I found the hiking trails table http://www.sepaq.com/pq/gas/annexes/sentiers_courte_pedestre.dot + it says 11.4km 850m elev gain ( = 7mi 2800ft), which doesn't sound that different from, say, Mt. Monroe or Eisenhower, but if hardly anyone goes there, then it's in a different category.

Definitely do the 17.4 km Tour du Mont Albert. The ascent up the North side is easy. The descent out via the Diable river is very cool. The only semi-difficult part is the descent down the headwall of the Grand Cuve (pronounced coove as in cool, not coo-vay--many Americans confuse it with the word Cuvee). However, it's not that bad. My impression was that they see a fair amount of use.

When I hiked it, it was part of a university Geology class/trip and there were many of my fellow students who had little hiking experience, a few had none. We all finished the hike and lived to see another day.

Be sure to look for the oceanic crust-mantle boundary visible in various places on the mountain. The orange-colored rock is old mantle material and the grey rock was once oceanic crust. This is one of the few places in the world where you can see this boundary.

Last edited:
I guess what I'm looking for is less an opinion on technical difficulty than on remoteness.

I may be doing the hike alone, and I'm comfortable with that in the Presis, but if this area isn't commonly hiked and nobody in the area speaks English, then maybe it's out of my comfort zone.

The Gaspe is remote, but it also seems to be relatively popular destination, for good reason. And, the number of trail options are much more limited than in the White Mountains. As a result, the use is concentrated. When I've been there in both summer and winter, I've seen a number of other groups. It wasn't crowded, you might not see other people, but my guess is that you probably would, especially on a weekend. It certainly see more use that the less-traveled trails in the Presidentials.

I also wouldn't worry about the English/Quebecois French barrier. It's obviously a benefit to be able to speak French, but it is by no means a necessity, particularly if you're in need of help.

If you want to be a little more comfortable solo hiking, might I suggest a McMurdo Fast Find 210. At only $250, the cost is reasonable and there is no subscription fee. It's the size of a cell phone, but twice the thickness and the weight is similar. Obviously, you would only use it in a life-threatening scenario.

The Tour du Mont Albert is an extraordinary hike, particularly the section from the Grand Cuve, down along the valley of the Ruisseau du Diable (Devil's Creek)--it's unlike anything outside of perhaps Newfoundland. And, not only is the scenery spectacular, but you're taking a walk deep below the ocean, down towards the center of the earth, below the crust, into the earth's mantle.

Last edited:
I was considering hiking there a few years ago, but put it on the back-burner; ie, after I finish Ktaadn. I remember a few Qs unanswered.

How many 4000 footers are there (5-6)? I remember one was 'off limits' due to cariboo. Are there a good set of hiking maps, guidebook for the area??

I believe that there are three 4k'ers in the Chic Chocs: Mont Jacques-Cartier, Mont de la Passe, & Mont Comte. (IIRC, there are more than 50 4k'ers in the Torngats--norther & easter.)

Outdoor Gear Exchange (gearx.com) had/has a map of the Chic Chocs that includes hiking trails. It might be published by SEPAQ. I couldn't find it on the website, but you could try calling them (888-547-4327).

Definitely do the 17.4 km Tour du Mont Albert. The ascent up the North side is easy. The descent out via the Diable river is very cool. The only semi-difficult part is the descent down the headwall of the Grand Cuve (pronounced coove as in cool, not coo-vay--many Americans confuse it with the word Cuvee). However, it's not that bad. My impression was that they see a fair amount of use.

When I hiked it, it was part of a university Geology class/trip and there were many of my fellow students who had little hiking experience, a few had none. We all finished the hike and lived to see another day.

Be sure to look for the oceanic crust-mantle boundary visible in various places on the mountain. The orange-colored rock is old mantle material and the grey rock was once oceanic crust. This is one of the few places in the world where you can see this boundary.

Good stuff, TEO. The Gaspesie is also a great place to examine cirques, which are not as cluttered by trees as in northern New England and New York. Prevailing view is that the last ice in the Gaspesie cirques was overriding continental ice and not local alpine glaciers, similar to what has been the view for cirques in the Whites, although that is changing based on recent work in the Great Gulf.

Personally, I find that the cirques are best examined in the spring, when there is still a considerable snow-pack. ;)

Chic Chocs, July 9-11, 2011

I'm planning to be there on the weekend of July 9-11, 2011. My research indicates that Mont Jacques Cartier has restricted hiking due to the Caribou herd (can't start before 10 am and have to be off the mountain by 4 pm). It's supposed to be 4-5 hours round trip, so it sounds doable. The trailhead is pretty high, as there is only 450 meters (1476 feet) of elevation gain. I'll let you all know how it goes.