Post Irene, Greylock night hike 8/29/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Greylock is open for business! Was at work today, just thinking about a night hike to Greylock sometime this week when I read on DCR's website that Bascom Lodge was closed til Tuesday.... which sprung ideas in my head that tonight would be the perfect night to nighthike greylock so I planned to bike home, take a quick shower and eat dinner and try to get up to the summit by sunset.

Even though I'm closer to the west side trails, the roaring brook trail crosses the brook there about three times which I didn't think it was going to be too good, especially with the rains. Pittsfield only got 4.5 inches of rain but who knows about greylock and the western drainage. So I decided to take the direct Thunderbolt trail from Thiel road or the Gould road if I couldn't get to the end of thiel road. Turned out one tree down on the road but i was able to drive around it and two cars were already at the end of the road...

About a little over an hour to climb the 2.5 miles, I get to the war memorial to find a couple of thruhikers making dinner and the sun just about to go over brodie mtn.. So I quickly took some photos and wandered over to the Adams side to check out the town. Bascom lodge was indeed closed but looks like it was open for the thruhikers to stay in...

Eventually, the took off around 8:30 with my headlamp, pass the tbolt shelter down the trail. The trail seems to be in fine shape for late summer. The tbolt gets overgrown so the trail is basically a drainage through the ferns (hooo, ferns!!!) and got back around 9:30...

Fun trip:

https://picasaweb.google.com/104827043392670889977/20110829Greylock

Jay