Lincoln Gap Parking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HockeyPuck

Reaction score
Hi

I'm considering hiking Abraham and Ellen from Lincoln Gap this weekend (11/20). Are there any parking issues I should be aware of in Lincoln Gap. Is the road open??

Thanks for any info.

The road leading up to Lincoln Gap is steep and winds quite a bit and I would assume that in icy conditions would be dangerous. When I was hiking the LT this summer, the caretaker at Battell shelter was talking about break-ins at that trailhead so keep all you stuff in your trunk or hidden somehow. That section between Lincoln and App gaps was one of my FAVORITES on the entire trail. Enjoy your trip.

sli74

When we hiked Mt. Abraham from Lincoln Gap two weeks ago, there were signs posted that the road is closed. It was a beautiful day and we just drove around the signs and parked there anyway (as did many other hikers.) As Sli74 said, if there is the least bit of ice on the road, I would not recommend doing that... the road is extremely steep and curvy and flying off the road due to ice would be very possible.

You could always consider heading up the Battell Trail instead -- though you'd have more elevation gain, that trailhead is always open.

Hope that helps!
- Ivy

The Battell trail has more elevation gain but is gradual. Another option is the Jerusalem Trail and approach Abraham and Ellen from the East. If you have a second car you could do a round trip between these two trails.

Lincoln Gap

I haven't been up Lincoln Gap Road recently, but I live nearby and based on recent weather/snow conditions and forecast for tomorrow, I wouldn't hesitate to try it. Just be ready to go around "closed" sign and reverse if prudent. Especially from west, you can just reverse and go up Batell trail, nothing lost... -John