Abraham attempt via east side from kingfield.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Oak

Reaction score
main bridge over rapid stream[.5 miles from trailhead] is still washed out.rapid stream is out of control with mountain rain runoff.ran into two college kids camping right before washout,three of us explored options by hiking up north bank to see if any spots were good to rock hop but no luck. ice covered rocks made it very dangerous.temps were very cool leaving me not interested in getting my feet cold by crossing no shoes and losing internal heat quickly.
With all the precip. in the immediate forecast I am afraid this route maybe lost till late spring.Some good news! Road crews are going to town on rapid stream road and doing a great job,they are putting at least 1-2 feet of compact dirt on the road.I spoke to one of them and asked him to hit the cvr next.I suspect the road is getting fixed for logging operations.I also spoke to a resident on rapid stream who described irene damage which made her unable to get to her house for a few days!The other side from the cvr seems the way to bag abraham right now,either using the a.t. of going up the cvr and cutting over to the a.t. by the spaulding shelter and using the abraham side trail.Nice day to walk in the maine woods in spite of lack of a peak bagged.date of hike 12-3-11.

Last edited: