Owlshead and Mt. Martha, 7/14/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Via Owl's Head Trail, Martha's Mile and Cherry Mountain Rd.

Great hike despite the hot humid weather - we started on route 115 and hike south to Old Cherry Mountain Rd. First mile or so is fairly easy, but after the last stream crossing the trail becomes fairly steep and unrelenting up to Owlshead. Great views (though a bit hazy) from the summit towards Whitefield, the Presi's and Mt. Martha. Martha's Mile is in great shape and was a good rest for the legs. More fantastic views on Mt. Martha from the Presi's to Crawford Notch all the way to Lafayette and Cannon Mt. Cherry Mountain Trail is an easy cruise down an old road/snowmobile trail, with some mud just the last hundred yards or so - not really an issue yesterday, but after some recent rains I can imagine it might be pretty mucky. Bugs weren't bad unless we stopped where there was no breeze.

Hannah had a good day - lots of chipmunks to chase and easy footing the whole way. Not many opportunities for water though so make sure to bring plenty extra for your pooch.

This hike is a GREAT alternative to a 4k, especially with the sweeping views on both summits - it had been on my list for a while and I'll definitely be back - thanks to Tim, Ali and Hannah for another good one!