Need a NEW camera.... Suggestions please!!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niltiac

Reaction score
So I'm in the market for a new camera for my mountain adventures (and everything else).... and judging by some of the photos in these forums, you guys are the ones to ask!!!!

Features I am looking for:

• Durable (This comes in handy when dropped down rock staircases)
    Fast shooting capabilities so I can snap quick photos of birds without them flying away
    Water Resistant maybe?.... my last one was but I only ever took it in the water once, while jumping off the rocks at 13 falls, but not sure how much precipitation you can expose a non-water resistant one to until it becomes a problem
    Something that can stand the cold...nothing like not being able to take a picture of the undercast on Mt Adams in February because your camera won’t turn on!

I don't know much about cameras and if you guys think there are other things I may need please let me know!

Thanks so much!!

Olympus Stylus Tough! 3000

You may want to look at the newer versions of this camera. Mine is a simple point and shoot. I have use it for 3 years now and it is still going strong. Waterproof and shockproof with reason. Read the fine print. It has 12 mp. The proprietory battery pack is good and works well in the cold if you keep the camera inside your wind shell. I carry an extra battery pack just in case.

If you want tough, water resistant and freeze-proof then the Olympus tough series is really the best choice. I have had one for the past few years and its durability has never let me know. I can keep it in a cold, snowy pocket or the pocket on my life jacket and it is always there when I need it.

The downside of it, at least in my version, is that the image quality is good but not amazing. Hopefully they have addressed this by now. But the way I see it is that the Olympus lets me take pictures in places where I otherwise would not be able to take pictures. The other downside is that it is expensive.

I also have a Canon G12 and that takes GREAT shots. It is reasonably tough but not waterproof or anything. I have to keep that in my pack which makes it a small ordeal to take pictures.

If you want one of of the ruggedized waterproof (submersible) models, you might look at the Canon D10 or D20. According to the reviews at http://www.imaging-resource.com/MFR1.HTM, the D10 has better image quality than the Olympic tough series. (The D20 is newer and has better specs, but hasn't been reviewed yet.)

It appears that all submersible cameras give up some image quality, particularly in the corners.

In general, non-waterproof cameras appear to have a minimum temp rating of 32F (0C) because of the risk of frozen condensation inside the camera. However, if one is careful about preventing condensation they can be used at much lower temps. The waterproof cameras appear to be rated to 14F (-10C). See the following threads for more info:
* Digital cameras and cold: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?34397-Digital-cameras-and-cold
* Cameras, Lighters, and Firestarters for cold temps: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?15695-Cameras-Lighters-and-Firestarters-for-cold-temps

The above cameras are all point&shoots. If you want to take fast shots (minimum delay between pressing the shutter button and taking the picture), you may want to consider a DSLR. Similarly, if you want to take serious pictures of birds you are likely to want a DSLR with a long lens. More $, bigger, heaver, more complicated.

A camera has an "envelope" (range of conditions under which it can take decent pictures). A DSLR will generally have a larger envelope than a P&S, however, in either case the artistry and composition comes from the human behind the camera. To paraphrase the Baron Manfred von Richthofen ("The Red Baron"), "It's not the camera, but the man behind the camera."

Doug

Last edited:
In addition to checking out the Olympus Tough series, compare them against the likes of the Panasonic DMC-TS4 and the DMC-TS20. It's a matter of how much you're willing to spend, as a lot of the "ruggedized" cameras out there have similar specs (12-16MP, shockproof to 4-6 feet, waterproof to 16-40 feet, etc.). Doug has listed several good resources, so you can take a look through and pick one out that has the right mix of features for you to document your mountain adventures! :D

I have the Olympus Tough 6000. It's rugged and waterproof alright.
But the picture quality is fair at best, and that's under good outdoor light.
Auto-focus is terrible (slow and hit or miss).

I also used that Canon model. It takes better pictures, but it had odd form factor and no zoom.

I would just get a regular Canon Powershot.

I also used that Canon model. It takes better pictures, but it had odd form factor and no zoom.
The Canon D20 has a 5x zoom.

I would just get a regular Canon Powershot.
I agree, unless you plan on spending a lot of time on the water. My SD800 (and the SD300 before that) survived years of skiing, hiking, biking and general outdoor fun.

Today, "Cyber Monday," is the day to shop for one. One particularly popular higher-end camera, the Canon PowerShot G12, is $200 off at B&H Photo a very reliable professional Internet shopping source (with NYC store). Lots of other deals, too. The Nikon AW100 waterproof, and Olympus Tough TG820, are both $100 off.

If you're looking for a small, waterproof camera which works under cold conditions, I'd suggest the Panasonic TS20 LUMIX camera. It's regularly available from places like Amazon for about $120. Not only is it a top-seller for all P&S cameras, it's Amazon's best-seller for waterproof cameras. I purchased one last fall, and so far it's lived up to it's billing. I also have a Panasonic DMC-ZS9 which is a great camera, but a bit bigger. I gave up a couple of years ago on Canon's P&S line as the quality became rather iffy7 but find the Lumix line of excellent quality.

OTH - if money's no object, and you want a luggable camera that will show the chin-whiskers on a boreal chickadee at 1000 yards, I'm sure one of the cameras suggested above would fit the bill just fine! :)

Any thoughts on the Nikon D5100? or the D3200? Both recommended by my brother who is a semi-professional photographer.
The OP expressed an interest in a rugged, waterproof, cold-tolerant camera.

These are both consumer-grade DSLRs. They tend to be fairly heavy (29 oz for the D5100 with the kit lens), larger than most P&Ses, and are not very weather-proof or rugged. (Professional-grade DSLRs and lenses are more rugged than consumer-grade and tend to be weather but not immersion proof. They are also a lot heavier--both in the pack and on the wallet...)

The OP also stated that she didn't know much about cameras--a P&S is likely a better choice than a more complex DSLR.

DSLRs, (and many non-waterproof P&Ses) generally have a minimum temp rating of 32F (0C) while the waterproof cameras often have minimum temp ratings of 14F (-10C). (Cameras can usually be used below their minimum temp rating if they are kept moisture-free.) Image quality (IQ) depends on a number of factors, but DSLRs are generally capable of higher IQ over a wider range of conditions than are P&Ses.

FWIW, I have both a DSLR (39 oz with 1 lens*, 75oz with 3 lenses) and an 8oz (non-waterproof) P&S. I generally only carry the DSLR when I am emphasizing photography.
* 25oz with the kit lens.

According to some reviews, the IQ of waterproof P&S cameras is not as good as that of otherwise similar non-waterproof P&Ses.

Doug