Cascade and Porter 12/23/04 - An easy Winter hike????

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
This seemed like an easy hike. Six miles gets you 2 peaks. Piece of cake? Read on....

I had been planning to do this hike for quite some time, and when it finally came time to do it, no one else was willing or able to go. But someone knew where I was, and I was confident that I could do these 2 peaks. So, I set out at about 10:30 AM from Rt. 73, in a driving rain, with the temperature in the 40's. The first part of the hike was pretty easy. The grade was not too steep, and the trail was well packed down. I wore snowshoes all the same, to keep from post-holing in the soft snow. Every so often, the wind would whip up into a loud, roaring gale, that would race thru the trees. At one point, half a tree cracked off and fell to the ground about 100 feet from the trail.

When I got to the junction, I had made pretty good time. I was a little damp, but not too cold. I decided to do Cascade first. When I got to the open top of the mountain, I could see the wind was raging across the summit from right to left. I dropped my pack and started up the rocky slope. The wind was incredibly strong. Water was flowing *up* the slope! For that matter, *I* was being carried up the slope! I was knocked down twice before I managed to get to the summit, sometimes crouching, sometimes crawling, sometimes flitting from boulder to boulder during calmer periods. At the very top, the wind was so strong, I had to lay down and hang on to the rocks, to avoid being blown off the summit. I realized with some alarm that my snowshoes had turned into sails! I was being pummeled by blasts of wind, and rain stung at my face. I didn't want to move for fear of being tossed around on the rocks, but at the same time, I knew I had to get off the summit as soon as possible! After a while, the wind abated slightly, and I was able to make my way back down to the cover of the trees. I had been humbled by the raw power of nature on lowly Cascade!

I rested briefly and started over to Porter. The trail was less trodden but not difficult. I passed the giant boulder and stopped to prepare myself for the summit of Porter. As it turned out, Porter was much kinder to me. Only the last few feet are exposed, and I laughed aloud at how easy it was in comparison. But, I could see Cascade across the way, and I was reminded again of the beating it had just given me. I called my contact and let them know that I had summited both peaks, and was heading back down. Just before coming back to the boulder, I came across a very large tree that had fallen across the trail! I had missed it by only a few minutes.

Just past the junction, there is a rocky outcropping that afforded me quite a good view, in spite of the rain and wind. I could see from here that I was just below the cloud tops, and Lake Placid and many other familiar features were visible from this point.

The walk down was very wet. The path had become very soft and slippery, and at the bottom, it had turned into a stream. At one point, I crossed my snowshoes and tumbled down hard onto the rocks. Ouch! OK, go a little slower!

I reached the car at about 2:00 PM. I was soaked from head to toe. It was great to be able to change into warm, dry clothes, and even better to enjoy a 46'er IPA at LPPB a little while later! :D

Yup, I'm a peak bagger! I was the only idiot climbing those 2 peaks that day. But in a strange sort of way, it was a good day!

Last edited:
Piece of cake!!!

Hi Tom ;)

Great story Tom....congratulation for your determination!

Yes it was a reel special day, Junior & Me We are in Tabletop with only the rain, but when We hiked Phelps the trees made a strange danse and on the small exposed corridor to catch the summit We need to stop to resist at his power....

I don't know where You was around 4.30 the same day but near the base camp the wind and the rain cleanned my car and made a better job of all the car wash!!!!

Also it is funny to se We are probably the only two crazy hikers that day and We wrote the Colden report exactly in the same time!!!!

In the winter all the easy peak can change fastly in a good or terrible adventure!!!

Merry Christmas and many historique hikes in 2005.

Take care. :)

Pinpin Junior. ;)

Tom, I was on my way from Tupper to Ticonderoga that day. I chose that route because the wind was dropping trees accoss the roads going the long lake, newcomb way. I could hardly hold the road the wind was so bad. When we approached the cascade trailhead on 73 I told my daughter that no one would be out climbing that today unless they were crazy! When I passed the trailhead sure enough there was a car there, apparently yours. So I stand corrected. But I saw you were not alone that day. Two other cars were at pinchoff mt. I drove to Albany later that day and It was worse than the trip to Ti. All I can say your a better man than me do be out hiking in that weather. I wouldn't of even gone to Albany in that weather if I hadn't already bought tickets for a concert for my daughter. :eek:

adk-46r said:
Tom, I was on my way from Tupper to Ticonderoga that day. I chose that route because the wind was dropping trees accoss the roads going the long lake, newcomb way. I could hardly hold the road the wind was so bad. When we approached the cascade trailhead on 73 I told my daughter that no one would be out climbing that today unless they were crazy! When I passed the trailhead sure enough there was a car there, apparently yours. So I stand corrected. But I saw you were not alone that day. Two other cars were at pinchoff mt. I drove to Albany later that day and It was worse than the trip to Ti. All I can say your a better man than me do be out hiking in that weather. I wouldn't of even gone to Albany in that weather if I hadn't already bought tickets for a concert for my daughter. :eek:

I'm not sure I'm a better man, but I am at least (as PinPin Jr. said), determined. I had driven a long way, and I didn't want to go back 'empty handed'. It wasn't really all that bad a hike, just a little tricky at the 1 summit.

I heard from someone else travelling that day that there were trees down across the roads in the general area you described. She actually saw a tree fall, and with the help of a few other motorists, pushed it off the road.

PINPIN JUNIOR said:
Great story Tom....congratulation for your determination!
Also it is funny to se We are probably the only two crazy hikers that day and We wrote the Colden report exactly in the same time!!!!
Merry Christmas and many historique hikes in 2005.

Thanks!

I was wondering where you saw the Colden write up ?