Franconia Ridge Traverse - Lafayette, Lincoln, Liberty and Flume - 2012-09-16

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
The four peaks on Franconia Ridge are some of the most-visited peaks in the White Mountains, and for good reason. I had yet to ever visit all four on one hike, and I did so on Sunday, 9/16/12. The goal of the day was to do the traverse, but also to fill in some sections of trail I had not been on, namely, Skookumchuck, Osseo, and the section of the Franconia Ridge Trail between the junctions with Falling Waters and Liberty Springs. The Skookumchuck was a pleasant warm up, following the namesake brook for a while before getting steep, and likewise the Osseo was a pleasant cool down, with only the laddered (staired?) stretch being steep.

The interesting part of the day really is that we experienced three seasons on one trip - it was fall at the Skookumchuck parking lot, winter on Lafayette, and then (late) summer again on Flume. All the peaks, and Cannon, were in the clear while driving up 93, and still in the clear when we embarked. Somewhere along the way, the sun heated up the previous night's rain showers, and the cold northwest wind blew it up-slope into a nice cloud bank. Lafayette had a slight rime ice coating on the cairns and surrounding trees and grasses.

IMG_0364.JPG

Cairn near North Lafayette

IMG_0371.JPG

Lincoln from the Lafayette side

IMG_0389.JPG

Pemi views from The Gargoyles

IMG_0392.JPG

Hikers behind the Gargoyles

IMG_0415.JPG

Small crowd on Flume

IMG_0422.JPG

Osseo "downlook"

All Photos

Enjoy,
Tim

It was nice bumping into you guys throughout the traverse (I was the backpacker coming from Garfield Ridge Campsite). I think I even made it into one of your pictures. I don't think I could have asked for a better day for that hike, it got me all the more excited for the upcoming winter. See you out there
-Doug

Tim,

The Osseo "downlook" into Redrock and Hellgate ravines reminds me a bit of looking at the Presidental Range from Mt Hight.

Also the ridgeline in the middle ground seems to be pretty good photographic evidence for OH's new summit.

Really like that view. Thanks.

Great to see you and Larry out there, Tim! I couldn't believe how breezy/cold it was above treeline, though fortunately by the time I was on Franconia Ridge the clouds had lifted. Definitely an exciting day to be in the mountains, with the constantly changing conditions... :cool: