American Hikng Society

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I have to confess I had never heard of the American Hiking Society. Came across this posting for an intern. Note that it was posted on December 5 advertising an internship that is supposed to run from September '12 to January '13. Rather short internship at this point!

Brian

AHS made an attempt many years ago to get more involved with the whites. Backpacker Magazine had a TV series about 15 years ago that went around the country and set up "staged" adventures with very slick production values and lots of advertising for various products imbedded in the content. They did a rather infamous trip to the northern whites where they had Reuben Rajala (formerly of AMC) to act as a local guide. In the commentary while the host and Reuben were hiking up Adams the host made comments on how well the AHS had built and maintained the trail network in the whites. They even showed a segment where AHS trail crews was doing major improvements to an RMC trail.

Prior to the filming RMC had asked that the show not be filmed in the area due to the overuse of the area and mention of the RMC or its huts were not included in the show, but to represent that AHS had anything significant to do with hiking trails in the whites was definitely an outright lie. The USFS was supporting the program as well as the AHS so I expect the producers could care less about the truth as long as it sold ads.

My observation of AHS was that it is primarily a national organization that is very good at harvesting dollars from corporate clients. Sort of corporate greenwashing and after taking a nice cut for management, they then redistribute the dollars to projects that reinforce their rep with the corporations they target. They seem to have been more active nationally previously. I do not think local organizations dare complain as a little bit of corporate money is better than none

I have never heard of them doing anything in the Catskills or Adirondacks. From the website they look big in congressional lobbying, conveniently based in Silver Spring, MD. They do have board members from both GMC and AMC.

HERE is their Form 990 return filed with the IRS for 2010. Summary:

9 employees
Total Revenues $1,053,206
Grants $27,100
Salaries $463,994
Other Expenses $535,434
President's compensation $110,750

Their three largest program services were:
trails programs $271,840
lobbying $173,184
member services $139,139