Goose Eye, 3794, Carlo, & Success via Goose Eye, Mahoosuc, & Success Trails - 6/3

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
Goose Eye, 3794, Carlo, & Success via Goose Eye, Mahoosuc, & Success Trails - 6/3

Date of Hike: June 3, 2013

Trail Conditions: The Goose Eye Trail was a bit muddy but in pretty good shape. The two crossings were easy, even though it rained the night before. No blowdowns that I recall and all mud and wetness was mostly avoidable. Looks like it was recently worked on (thanks). Same goes for the Mahoosuc Trail (which still had hidden pockets of ice but none that needed be trod upon). There were a few blowdowns on the part from the Success Trail junction to the Success summit, but I removed them all but one easy-under I couldn't break off. Success Trail itself was pretty wet and muddy but the bridges helped a lot and most of the mess was avoidable. The pair of crossings were super small and easy. There were a number of blowdowns on this trail but all were easy-overs and one easy-around. Lots of rusted metal junk along this trail; I wasn't sure what it was from. Interesting. The spur loop to The Outlook was in great shape, and certainly worth the trip.

Special Equipment Used: Nothing.

Comments: Hiked this one with my close friend and hiking partner, Theresa, and as usual we had a awesome time and an epic hike. What a terrific one this was with fantastic views from all of the exposed sections tagging one NEHH and one 52WAV peak, woo-hoo, in addition to Carlo and a detour to what we call TM Peak with an elevation of 3794'. We sure do love the Mahoosuc Range, this being our second adventure on it; it's so nice and wild (some of which was in NH). From The Outlook was saw a moose in a clearing below, then saw a HUGE black bear on the road. To top if off I spotted a deer on the way home. People spotted: none!

Mike "Tramper" Cherim
Nottingham NH