Free Screening of "The People's Forest" about the creation of the WMNF

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious if anyone from the VFTT community is going to this. I'm going and would love to say hi to others who may be there. Shame the White Mountains Museum isn't open on Tuesdays, though. It would have been nice to spend an hour there before the screening.

Very well done. Lots of cool old Forest Service video and of course stills of the devastation. Owls Head with a mushroom cloud of smoke over it :(!
Showing next Thursday (25th) in Lancaster at 7:00 at the Rialto Theater.
Fun to be back in our old classroom.

I concur. Dave Govatski is one of my favorite people, so I'm glad his interviews were such a big part of the film. The forest service film clips from between 1920 and 1930 were utterly incredible. We're so lucky to have the WMNF, so the story of how it came to be should be celebrated. Wonderful project. Kudos to all who were involved.

I went and was surprised that I didn't see any familiar faces there. While most of it was general knowledge, it was very interesting, and the film had some really cool shots of old pictures that were "doctored" a bit. Nice to see so many people there that care about our woods.
I did learn some new information, also about the film making process, and just seeing the bumper stickers on all the vehicles in the parking lot gave me a warm fuzzy feeling... worth the hour drive.
Does anyone know where they are showing it next, after Lancaster? I have had people ask me... they did give out a free DVD of the 12-minute pilot, which I have passed around/paid forward.
gaiagirl, I haven't been to the White Mtns. Museum yet, but it's in my plans for the near future.

I was there, and knew I wouldn't recognize anyone, which is why I asked here beforehand, hoping I might get to say hi to some VFTTers. The museum actually was open before the film, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's small but impressive and growing. Everyone connected with the film who I met at PSU was truly passionate and doing great work, and I thought the film was important. It IS common knowledge to most of us, perhaps, but I don't think the story is known by all. It will be good when the movie gets a wider audience, in my opinion. I have no idea if there are plans to show it beyond Lancaster this Thursday, but my guess would be no. I think they wanted the North Country to be able to see it locally and then the idea is that it will be on PBS or something of the sort for a really BIG audience. I think that would be tremendous.

Thanks for the heads up , I plan to make a run over to Lancaster to see the money this evening.