cascade winter parking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
Never gone as far a lake placid in the winter. I want to do cascade as my first winter peak. I figure I would start with a easy one to see if I like doing the peaks in the winter. My question is, How is the parkng situation there. I know in the summer there are a couple of pull off's on side of the road. Also, do I ned snow shoe's or are my six point crampons a better choice. I figure the trail is probably packed down so I don't need the snow shoes.

Need snowshoes?

Your need for snowshoes is a matter of DEC policy, not trail conditions. I believe the rule is that whenever there is more than 8" of snow, you are required to have either skis or snowshoes. You may not need them to handle the trail, but rather to satisfy the friendly ranger, and a certain French-Canadian rabbit. There's no requirement for crampons, though.

teejay

The parking areas are well-plowed. I cannot recall if Cascade and Porter fall under the HPUMP, if they do, then you would be required to have snowshoes with you. I'd almost guarantee that trail would be packed any weekend morning after 7AM. You might want to consider Porter while you are up there

I just checked the HPUMP Draft - Cascade Lakes area is included on the HPUMP.