Parking questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomcat32

Reaction score
I know parking questions are annoying but I rarely park at the high volume pay lots in the Whites It’s been well over 10 years since I have and they weren’t quite as full then.

I’m planning on driving over from the Adirondacks and want to hit the Willey/ Avalon Loop from the Highland Center which I know also services the southern Presi area.
1 is parking at Highland just for guests?
2 I’m assuming Parking otherwise is across the street or what are alternatives close if busy for parking ?
3 I’m guessing all parking is pay
4 how much to park and is it self serve parking drop box
5 mid week- am I safe to arrive 12-2pm and find a spot after possible morning traffic left

Cannon
I plan hitting via kinsman ridge.
1 I’m assuming also a pay lot and how much
2 if I hit after say 2 pm on a weekday- I’m guessing I’ll have fairly easy shot
3 is this the same lot as the tram? Exit 34c?

Finally I plan hitting Lincoln Woods midweek before 7am.
1 if lot is full what is parking regs along the Kanc?
2 if along the Kanc do you still pay?

I appreciate input I hiked my first NH 4K in July of 99 and plan on hiking final 5 next two weeks before I leave the northeast
Nearly all the peaks have been done over backpacking trips. These are the only of the 48 I’m planning on doing as day hikes that aren’t repeats. This will also rap up the NE 67. I will only have the two Catskill Peaks for the 115 after the NH trip.

Parking at Highland is for guests only. Parking adjacent to Highland is not. There is parking at the old Depot and just down the road at the Webster Jackson trail. The state police seem to toerate parking in the dirt off the pavement along RT 302. There is USFS Fee area off Mt Clinton Road across from the Highland Center for Crawford Path. I believe parking is $5 per night at the USFS fee area. Yes during the week you should be able to find a free spot along RT 302 and at the USF fee area.

If you are taking Kinsman Ridge Trail out of the tram parking lot, no parking fee. They used to have designated hiker parking way over to the left in dirt parking lot. Not an issue with finding a spot. The other Cannon Mtn options start at Lafayette Place, all best are off finding a spot. No fee if you do find a spot.

If the lot is full during the week (highly likely at such an early time during the week. Its a US fee area $5 a day to park.

No pay if you park along the kanc, just make sure you are off the pavement. There are some no parking signs along the Kanc but plenty of room outside the signed areas.

Parking at Highland is for guests only. Parking adjacent to Highland is not. There is parking at the old Depot and just down the road at the Webster Jackson trail. The state police seem to toerate parking in the dirt off the pavement along RT 302. There is USFS Fee area off Mt Clinton Road across from the Highland Center for Crawford Path. I believe parking is $5 per night at the USFS fee area. Yes during the week you should be able to find a free spot along RT 302 and at the USF fee area.

If you are taking Kinsman Ridge Trail out of the tram parking lot, no parking fee. They used to have designated hiker parking way over to the left in dirt parking lot. Not an issue with finding a spot. The other Cannon Mtn options start at Lafayette Place, all best are off finding a spot. No fee if you do find a spot.

If the lot is full during the week (highly likely at such an early time during the week. Its a US fee area $5 a day to park.

No pay if you park along the kanc, just make sure you are off the pavement. There are some no parking signs along the Kanc but plenty of room outside the signed areas.
Is Lafayette Place a paid spot?
I’m assuming the last part is in regards to Lincoln Woods- I’m guessing it is likely to find a spot on a wed or Thursday mid week pre 7am? Thanks for the info.

Also is the parking at the depot a few area by the Highland Center in Crawford Notch?

Your reply is garbled. The depot parking is just a short distance south of the Highland Center lot. Take a look at the area on Google Earth Street view. The parking options are quite obvious.

Lafayette Place is not currently a paid spot, the state is making noises about doing so but as of now its free.

Last edited:
Your reply is garbled. The depot parking is just a short distance south of the Highland Center lot. Take a look at the area on Google Earth Street view. The parking options are quite obvious.

Lafayette Place is not currently a paid spot, the state is making noises about doing so but as of now its free.
Sorry about the garble. Typed it on my phone at work and distracted. Not paying attention to what I typed. Google street view made it pretty clear.

Street View is really handy for planning trailhead parking. Given that you appear to be an early morning hiker and hiking during the week, things are simpler. Most use is day use and AMC hut use. Make the effort to get to the trailhead early (pre 7 AM) and its rare not to find a spot.

I think my senior pass was $85.

Differentiate between lots that are in state parks (Crawford and Franconia) and are on USFS land. The state ones are typically free (Live Free or Die and all that...).

The "Senior Pass" is really just a Lifetime National Parks/Golden Eagle/whatever they call it now pass. Any one can get an annual one for ~$80, only us old people can get the Senior one (I got mine so long ago I did indeed pay $10 - its more now). It will allow you to park free at the USFS lots, gives you a discounts at some USFS Campgrounds as well as National Park ones, gets you into other National monuments etc.

I was not aware until recently that NH parks does offer annual passes with lots of string attached or senior benefits (over 65) with no pass required.

https://www.nhstateparks.org/fees-reservations/buy-or-renew-a-season-pass
Scroll down and this covers the senior benefits (no pass required, just ID

New Hampshire Senior Citizens Discounts​

New Hampshire residents aged 65 and older
  • are admitted free of charge at all day-use parks.
  • receive $5 off nightly camping site fees except at Hampton, Ellacoya and Cannon RV parks.
  • are admitted free of charge Monday through Friday at the Cannon Aerial Tramway and daily at the Flume Gorge.
Proper ID (N.H. driver's license or state-issued ID) is required. (Pursuant to RSA 218:5-c.)

Please note: Senior citizens will still need to pay the parking meters at New Hampshire State Parks. This discount is only for the NH Resident Senior and is not applicable for other guests.