Return to winter conditions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
The forecast for the next 7 days is three snow storms for the whites. No major dumps but its pretty scratchy out in the woods in Randolph of late. I have been doing firewood at my woodlot and have been using microspikes to get around as its a bit icy but at most the snow pack is 3" which is a bit shallow for bucking logs. I usually drop trees with a couple of feet of snow on the ground as it really saves the saw from getting dull cutting into dirt. I usually end up wearing snowshoes to do my cutting but no need this year so far. Let's hope the temps stay low enough to stay snow instead of the El Nino "snow changing to rain". If the weather lives up to the new normal, the snow usually does eventually come down and builds up a natural snowpack by February. Unfortunately its not around for long these days.

The Nansen Ski Club is breaking in the new ski jump next weekend in Milan with a winter carnival. Right now they are stock piling snow with a snow gun but hopefully they will get some natural stuff. Note the big original jump is not yet in service and the estimates for reconfiguring it seems to be making it like it its going to be awhile.

The forecast for the next 7 days is three snow storms for the whites. No major dumps but its pretty scratchy out in the woods in Randolph of late. I have been doing firewood at my woodlot and have been using microspikes to get around as its a bit icy but at most the snow pack is 3" which is a bit shallow for bucking logs. I usually drop trees with a couple of feet of snow on the ground as it really saves the saw from getting dull cutting into dirt. I usually end up wearing snowshoes to do my cutting but no need this year so far. Let's hope the temps stay low enough to stay snow instead of the El Nino "snow changing to rain". If the weather lives up to the new normal, the snow usually does eventually come down and builds up a natural snowpack by February. Unfortunately its not around for long these days.

The Nansen Ski Club is breaking in the new ski jump next weekend in Milan with a winter carnival. Right now they are stock piling snow with a snow gun but hopefully they will get some natural stuff. Note the big original jump is not yet in service and the estimates for reconfiguring it seems to be making it like it its going to be awhile.

Are you working alone in that wood lot PB? (Say it ain’t so).

A friend just ran a saw through her big toe working up wood.

As dangerous as solo winter hiking!

I guess will see. Keith Carson from WCSH said there was potential for a total accumulation of up to 3 feet in the mountains with the next 3 system over this next week. They are a Portland,Maine based station so I’m not sure if he was just speaking for the Maine mountains or a wider spread area. It does look quite active going forward but guess we will find out soon enough.

The weekly RMC Facebook conditions update was calling for about 13 inches from this current storm and I think 8 inches already on the trails (I didn't notice the time of the update). Would be a nice start. 3 feet would be pretty awesome.

Are you working alone in that wood lot PB? (Say it ain’t so).

A friend just ran a saw through her big toe working up wood.

As dangerous as solo winter hiking!

Good advice for everyone Chris. I have always been of the habit to wear steel toe boots now along with the rest of my safety gear. Regardless, since the birth of my son who is now 9, I have been reluctant to work in the wood unless someone is home. Especially since the unfortunate death of Tom Howe from SPNHF a couple years ago while he was working his beloved woodlot at home.
Of course, use of this gear would not prevent every potential accident, but for me at least my kid would not be waiting for his Dad to pick him up from school, only to be told he was found dead in the woods.

I should admit this is all our fault. We bought a family nordic season pass for Bretton Woods in October. We are going to finally head over there today. I had a creeping feeling after one of the first snows this year that I should jump on my skis and take advantage of it, but didn't. So this will be our first ski of the season.

Last edited:
I canvassed Randolph to Errol today and while there seems to only be like 6” at the low elevations, it does feel like winter finally. Hope the base builds. The parking lots along Rt 2 seemed reasonably full of hikers. The dog mushers from Muddy Paws were out.

Yup, starting to look like early winter finally. The Sunday night storm contrary to the forecast made it up farther north.. I got 8" in Gorham (vs forecast of 2 to 3). Great snow to snow blow. Forecast for Wednesday night is 12 inches with the rain staying south. Now we need a couple of sunny days to set a crust.

Looks like the Milan winter carnival will have enough snow for the ski jumpers and other events.

The forecast 12" turned into 4 to 6 inches of dense snow capped off with some rain, the top crust was starting to form yesterday. with the past snowfall packed down. The dust is getting blown off the snowshoes today and taken out for a spin. The only qualifier is that the lack of deep cold means a lot of water is still flowing in drainages. Stream crossings will be a challenge as they are still running and snow bridges may not exist.

Last edited:
same in MWV. Probably 6” of super wet, dense snow. But with yesterday’s warm temps all the road surfaces are now clear. I bet a lot of water is running in the drainages and I wouldn’t trust ice on the lakes.

So, safe to assume Wildcat or Bretton Woods will be a good ski...did Vermont get dumped on too?

umm let me rephrase the question: where should I go skiing tomorrow (Friday) on backcountry, xc or downhill ? :)

So, safe to assume Wildcat or Bretton Woods will be a good ski...did Vermont get dumped on too?

umm let me rephrase the question: where should I go skiing tomorrow (Friday) on backcountry, xc or downhill ? :)
Stratton claims 40 inches and Snow claims 48 inches.

There is a prediction for rain starting between 3 and 4 pm for this area. But a high of 40 and cloudy till then- so at least won't be slop for the better part of the day. I'm partial to suggest Bretton Woods since they have so much terrain and variable options, downhill/bc/xc all in one place. We are planning to go tomorrow, although my knee decided not to work this morning.