Best approach to Breadloaf/Jackson

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicki

Reaction score
Am planning to do Breadloaf/Jackson soon solo and am curious about best approach trail (Skylight Pond or Emily Proctor)...in terms of length and trail condition.

I'm not familiar with a Mt. Jackson in the area so I'm assuming you mean Breadloaf and Wilson. Both trails are comparable in mileage however the more popular route is the Emily Proctor Trail. Skylight Pond trail is a nice alternative and paying a visit to the pond makes a nice pit stop once you hit the ridge and LT.

I did Breadloaf and Wilson via Clark Brook and the Long Trail, 10 miles, 3685 feet, 5:00, wet in some places, but a lot closer to home than the trails on the west side of the ridge.

Tim
p.s. be prepared for perhaps the most boring two peaks on the NEHH.

... p.s. be prepared for perhaps the most boring two peaks on the NEHH.
You may be right, Tim. But if my memory serves, I remember at least a decent view to the south and east from a ledge north of Mt Wilson on the LT? I tagged them both during my 2010 LT thru so things may be blurred together in there.

Last edited:
The peaks may be boring, but Clark Brook trail isn't. I've done it from both sides of the ridge.

The Skylight Pond approach is very straightforward. The shelter is neat to visit, the pond pretty. There's a hairpin turn once you're up on the LT, and if you go straight off the hairpin it dead-ends after several hundred yards at a fine viewpoint looking west across VT to NY. I don't remember anything especially tricky, difficult, or hard to follow, and it was an enjoyable hike.

I did the Emily Proctor route to Wilson/Breadloaf this summer myself. Pretty straight-forward, nothing overly steep or tricky (though the last ~1.5 miles to the ridge is steady), good footing, the trail was in good shape, and only one notable stream crossing, which was hoppable at somewhat high water levels (should be a lot lower right now). ~9.5 mile, ~2700ft gain hike, and while not breathtaking, we enjoyed it despite dodging rain storms much of the day (by sheer luck we arrived at the shelter just as the really heavy one started - couldn't see across the small clearing while it was raging). There is a view ledge on the Breadloaf spur if you continue past the high point. Couldn't tell you what you could see there thanks to the weather, but it looked like it would offer something decent. Nothing to see at Wilson, just a tiny cairn along the trail (and a very flat summit at that).