Mohoosuc trail loop: Carlos Col > Mahoosuc > Speck Pond trail 11/8-11/10/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhmcclure

Reaction score
CARLOS COL TRAIL: Started up Carlos Col train just after sunset Friday evening 11/8. Snow showers most of the afternoon had left a dusting on the ground. From the parking area on Success Pond road, the tail follows logging roads for a short while before heading into the woods. On the logging road the train is well signed. Once the trail entered the woods it was still easy to follow even after dark with late fall leave cover and a dusting of snow. The main river crossings were not a problem; ice had not yet begun to form. In the latter third of the trail the trail follow small drainages and was occasionally moderately uncertain, though this resolved itself quickly. The Carlo Col Shelter was in great shape. There was an outdoor learning group using the platforms, but we had the shelter to ourselves.

Mahoosuc Trail: The overnight hard freeze and high winds set up any remaining flowing water. The ascent to Mt Carlo was not too difficult. But the traverse to Goose Eye would have been very challenging without microspikes. The entire way was windy, dusted with snow and frost. All the bogs are frozen up and the ice supported weight. My hiking companions descended from Goose Eye back to the trail head and reported that the exposed sections were hairy in the wind, but the rest of the trail was nice and not too icy.

I continued on to Wright peak, Full Goose shelter (looked good) and down to Mahoosuc notch. Other than persistent icy trails, conditions were good. With the dusting of snow Mahoosuc Notch was challenging and needed care. The Mahoosuc Arm was icy, but significant stretches were bare of ice and not as bad as the last time I passed through. The trail down to the Speck Pond Shelter had more of the same. The shelter was in great shape. With little or no wind, it was a very quiet night (except for the mouse that decided to visit the bar of chocolate I had left next to my head in the middle of the night)(hung food was not disturbed).

Speck Pond Trail: I awoke in the morning to two inches of fresh powder. The trail out was a little slow since it was hard to tell where the ice was, so I took my time. The trail was easy to follow even through logging operations in the last third. With a little more snow on the ground, most hikers' heads will be in the branches soon. This trail is not trimmed for winter passage.