MA MidState Trail - MA 119 to MA 12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not completed all of it yet, but I would say that the southern portion of the trail still has a fair amount of road walks. The sections off the roads are great though considering how close you are to civilization.

Really enjoyed hiking the complete MA Mid-state Trail in sections back in the 1990s. Have they had much luck getting more sections off roadways?
I can't answer your question because all my Midstate Trail hikes were in 2010 and 2011 - 9 day-hikes that covered the complete Trail. I can tell you that I was pleasantly surprised how little road-walking was required - far less than for the North-South Trail in RI, which the Midstate meets at the State Line, in Douglas State Forest.

I used the 5th Ed. of the Midstate Trail Guidebook, which was published in 2006. As it notes,
Changes to the Trail occur every year and may shorten or lengthen the overall distance [92 miles].
We encountered a number of changes even from that Ed., evidently made since 2006, and some of them had shortened road-walks.

Amicus, you bring up a good point. I guess the amount of road walks question is a perception thing. For me, I consider a road walk of more than half a mile excessive. Sure, a few walks greater than this length are OK, but beyond that I sort of lose interest.