Basin & Haystack for my Dog Rev's ADK 46 Finish - 12/1/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TelemarkMike

Reaction score
I took my dog Rev up HaBa on Sunday to finish her 46. We had been at 44 for awhile and I decided it was time.

We got on the trail from the Garden at 6:23... 1st ones out. 5 cars were in the parking lot from overnight stays. Fast easy hiking to the soothing Shorey Shortcut (2.5 hrs). We bogged down after that. There is probabably a foot of snow above 4000'. No fresh tracks on Basin or Haystack from this weekend. Really tough climbing Basin with Rev on the leash. I lifted her up the Basin ladder using her Ruffwear Harness handle. There was ice above that which was tricky.

Little Haystack and Haystack were easier. Windblown rock and drifts behind the rock. The Range Trail down from Little Haystack was really difficult. Lots of unconsolidated snow. I wanted to put on my snowshoes, but too many rocks and roots to trip on. I post-holed many times into thigh high holes and water. Once back to Slant Rock it was easy. I only saw one hiker all day. He had camped at Slant Rock LT last night and was hiking out when I was going in.

Rev's 1st high peak was Tabletop on 3/31/12. She did 26 high peaks in 2012 and the balance in 2013. To get to Dial and Nippletop, we bushwhacked up Gravestone Brook from the Dix Trail. Colvin and Blake were a trip from Elk Lake. Sawteeth was done from the Orebed via Gothics and Pyramid.

Today was definitely the hardest hike for her and I. Today's trip took us about 9.5 hours. She is sleeping soundly right now!

Thanks to all who have been a part of her journey and to those who have helped her during her trials and tribulations. She's a great hiking dog.

Anyone have an educated guess on how many dogs have completed the 46? I'm guessing it would be less than 100, but I have no idea.

Detailed TR and Pics here.

Congrats Rev! I don't know about the ADK46 but I think there have been about 150 dogs that completed the NH48. Looks like you have a great hiking partner.

Dogs peak bagging is the best. Congrats to yours, my dog Buddy is working on the NH 4k's, we have a ways to go.