Laura Waterman's new book

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
Laura Waterman's new book, Losing the Garden: The Story of a Marriage (Shoemaker Hoard, 2005), has just been released. I've browsed the contents but not read it yet. It starts with that fateful day, February 6, 2000, when her husband Guy made his suicide hike up Mt. Lafayette. I think the subsequent narrative ranges all over their married life and their climbing and writing and ends with Laura's move out of Barra, their VT homestead retreat. She is scheduled to give a talk at the Littleton Public Library on March 11 followed by a book signing across the street at the Village Book Store. I don't know the times yet.

I'm looking forward to reading it, also. I've been waiting for its release. I've gotten one good review already from someone that was given an advance copy to read.

I was lucky enough to spend a day helping Laura in her woodlot at Barra, just after she had moved back into town. Quite an experience...

spencer

I couldn't resist reading the first chapter just now, spencer. It's beautifully written. Spare, factual, good detail, but with a sense of her heart and soul as well. Her style has really matured, I think. The subject matter is, of course, highly controversial, and I have strong feelings about it, but I've been waiting to see the matter from her perspective before I harden my feelings into an opinion.

Yes, I too am very curious about it.
........Spencer I'm glad you got a chance to help her......

I just started reading my copy of Chip Browns "Good Morning Midnight; Life and Death in The Wild." As soon as I am done, I'll be picking up Lauras new book for sure.

I read Chip Brown's book last year. It's very powerful. I look forward to Laura's book. I have great respect for the two of them, for their work in conservation, for the wilderness ethics books, for Forest & Crag etc.

None of this prevents me from finding Guy Waterman's decision to end his life as he did deeply troubling and paradoxical. Please understand--I am not judging, just expressing a certain level of bemusement.

Ted.

I read "Good Morning, Midnight" and felt Chip did a great job with this topic. He manages to avoid coming down on one side or the other in judging what Guy Waterman did.

But I look forward to reading Laura's book because only she can truly tell the story of their relationship. I don't know if this is the case, but I can imagine it must be frustrating to have been married to someone _ and then have complete strangers judge not only your lives together, but your husband's death.

Found this excerpt online.... this book is on my list as a "must read".

From Losing the Garden:

I leave the table to set up the dishpan and drain board. Guy strides over to the ash log by the door and sits down to put on his gaiters and boots. The sight of him within touching distance on the ash log is so utterly familiar that I can’t make it real that in a few minutes my husband is going to walk out the door for the last time. He finishes lacing the first boot and looks up at me with a half smile. I feel his concern, and I imagine him saying: “I’ve changed my mind.” But he doesn’t. And I know he isn’t going to, even though these words keep hanging in my head. I watch my hands in the dishpan doing their job, not shaking much. I look at him again. His head is bent, knotting the second boot. “This time you won’t be coming home to tell me the tale—how it all comes out,” I say and send him a small smile.

He looks up and grins back and I feel the connection between us tighten. “I won’t even be able to send you a postcard,” he says, continuing the joke.

He bends over the boot, and when he looks up again the concerned look is back and he says, “Make bread today, Laura.”