Gray, Skylight, and Marcy this weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrOysterhead

Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on a route for these peaks this weekend? I'm going to be starting from South Meadow at around 5am Saturday. Would it be better to just to up the Van trail to Marcy, then down to Lake Tear? Or would it be better to go over to Lake Colden then up to Lake Tear? Does that route get much use in the winter? Thanks!

cheers
Oysterhead

In my opinion your best to go up Marcy from the Van Hoevenburgh trail, since that trail is usually always broken. Drop to Four Corners up Skylight, to Lake Tear up Gray, or climb Gray straight from the Marcy Ridge. If trail is not broken down Lake Tear to Felspar, then it would be easier to retrace your steps back over Marcy and down.

Marcy-Gray-Skylight.

Hi MrOysterhead, ;)

From the ADK parking, We think the easy way will be Phelps trail Marcy in first and go directely (watch to alpine plants please) Gray catch the usual path to go down and go up Skylight. After if the trail will be broken past by Arnold lake if it will be not I prefert go up Marcy!!!

You have more chance (skier up by Phelps trail to Marcy and also the people take the decision go only to Marcy) in this side to have not to broken the trail.

We hiked exactely this trip to time since the 21 december 2004 without trouble and each time We need to broke between Macy and Lake of the Cloud.

Have a great time in this hike.

Pinpin Junior. :) :)