AVALON and WILLARD in Crawford Notch

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctsparrow

Reaction score
Spent the weekend as an info vol at the Highland Center and Depot. Loved spending time amoungst the AMC front country crew and staff. While I spent the majority
of my time sharing my knowledge of the trails, sharing weather info and shuttle info, and listening to plans and reports from those coming and going, I was able to get away for a couple lower peak hikes friday afternoon:
Avalon. This peak I have hiked past several times while doing different Willey, Field and Tom ridge hikes. Although the WMG has lauded its views, it has always been a
situation in that I was too tired for one more up, or i was hiking with one of my children and did not want to push beyond a pre-determined amount of time/effort. I started up the A - Z trail around 1:30pm. It was very much as I remembered it from probably 6 to 7 years ago until I got to a small section of what looks like a re-routing up and away from a direct following of the brookside. The newer section looks to be atleast a few seasons old, I may go back to my older guide books to see if my brain is registering this 'change' accurately or not. The section to the Avalon junction seems to go smooth, then rocky underfoot, then back to smooth, nothing challenging, just noted once again. I did not do the cascade loop near the bottom, the water levels while not low are not awe inspiring ala after a recent rain, or closer to spring levels. Also, I have a clear memory of almost stepping on a snake that didn't stir one early cool morning when my son and I took this loop on the way to Tom! The .5 mile to the Avalon spur on the Avalon Trail, is as my head labels it....'harder than it should be for a half mile'..lol! The steep rocky section is getting some love from the AMC trail crews-love those trail crews...thank you! My son- formerly know as Short Stride, is on a 7 week trail crew in Vermont, so spend sometime thanking those muddy, smelly hardworking crew members when you meet them. In reality, the steep section was over quickly, then it is a relatively pleasant walk to the spur which is a short, but steep 'up' to a relatively small rocky but highly rewarding viewpoint. It could comfortably handle probably a couple dozen people. The views to the presi's, crawford notch, back to Willey, Field and Tom are spectatular, and I had an incredible blue sky day. I am excessively glad I did this lower peak for myself and to share with hikers looking for a rewarding non-4000 footer in the area. The hike out went very quickly once past the steep section of the Avalon trail. I spent about three hours round trip with time on top. Yes, I am slightly embarrassed I didn't do it on the way up to Willey, Field and Tom on one of my 4K trips, it certainly has the best view of the entire loop.

Willey: I did this hike mid-day Saturday between my Volunteering time stints. It is a highly recommended 'family' hike in the area, although I feel many people think it will only be a 30 minute hike up, then down quickly. Now for the trail runners out there and the fit/young, indeed, I have no doubt the trip up can be done in 30 mins, however, when giving information to non-hikers, familys with small children and short strides, tourists seeking a view, I put the trip up at atleast one hour. It is a well used trail, easy to follow, with a couple good brook stops along the way. The open ledge viewpoint at the top is highly rewarding for the relatively easy hike, looking straight down the pipeline of Crawford Notch and 302. There was a raven in a tree not too far from the numbers of hikers, that was a bit 'unhappy' of the close proximity of so many. It remainded in the tree top in which it cried out loudly from and was not flying, I am assuming a nest was probably not tooo far away. The day was hazier than my friday hike, but still provided a wonderful opportunity to take in the Webster/Jackson profile, and a fine view back up to Willey, Field, Tom, although I prefer the Avalon view for that range. The ribbon of 302 through the Notch reminded me of the ribbon view in Franconia Notch of the 93/Notch parkway from the outer spur trails of Cannon, on a smaller scale.

It felt good to be out and discovering new peaks and views not connected to a list or the pressure to achieve a pre-determined goal. That being said, it is also getting the legs out and about before a return to Baxter later this summer!
ctsparrow