How do the Adirondacks work?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orphic Seth

Reaction score
Ok folks~

I'll be moving to upstate NY relatively soon if everything goes to plan (maybe Ohio-shudder-for a short time before NY, but that hasn't been decided yet) and obviously, I'll be wanting to romp around those mighty Adirondack mountains. All the North American hiking and camping I've done has been in NH and ME, primarily in the WMNF.

Reading through this site I notice a lot of comments about Inpsector Rangers at trailheads, fees, permits, private land (seems to be a big one), snowshoe requirements, and so on and so forth. I like to do things the right way first. So the big question of the day is: How does the Adirondack Park work? How similar or different is it from the Whites, and what should I know so I'm not ruining my day, or anyone else's day? What guide (book-type), if one exists, would you recommend?

I'm sort of really stuck during the next 8 weeks or so and I can't spend the time or money to hit up a bookstore and get some quality Adirondack guides (if they even exist a la WM Guide). I searched around online and didn't really find what I was looking for. So maybe someone here can help. Feel free to post here, PM me, or post a link that you feel will suffice.

Thank you in advance...

Seth here are some links that may help. link1 Adirondack Guide Book

As far as fees go. You only have to pay to park at the Adirondack Loj and at the Garden. As far as permits go they are free and they are at all the trailhead registers. They are basically to tell the DEC how many people have been in the high use areas.

I have never hiked in the whites so I cannot compare the two for you. Maybe someone else can help :)

I hope those links point you in the right direction. Feel free to private message me if you have any other questions.

Happy Traails,
ADAM

I've hiked in ME, the Whites and Adirondacks, since my life has involved living in all three states for several years. Basically, it's just as easy to hike the Dacks as it is the Whites (except the approach trails are generally longer). DEC does require that snowshoes or skis be worn in the High Peaks region during winter months, to prevent postholing. You also need to fill out a simple card at the trailhead (this is the "registration") in the High Peaks region, leave a copy in the box and take a copy with you, no fee for this (and if you forget as I've sometimes done, there's no penalty that I'm aware of). There's also a trail book at every trailhead (something missing in the Whites at most places), to sign in and out.

Parking fees at the Adirondack Loj and the Garden, as 1Adam12 said. They're not real high, and lower if you are an ADK member. Parking space generally isn't a problem at any of the trailheads, except it can be a little tight at the Garden.

Camping is free, first-come, first-served, same as in the Whites.

Private land - there is a lot of it, but all DEC trails that cross private land are free for the hiking public, although sometimes there are camping restrictions. There are plenty of large, private hunting club parcels that nobody but nobody can get on - I once got yelled at doing DEC bird surveys on one of these parcels before I knew the protocols (which are basically, "don't set foot here!") But there is so much public land and public trails crossing private land, that you don't miss a whole lot by not being able to get on the private land.

The High Peaks are crowded on summer weekends, but there are lots of times - weekdays, fall and spring - when you can basically have the trail to yourself. And if you like to climb lesser, out-of-the-way mountains, or go to one of the inumerable remote ponds (great extended backpacking opportunities in the flatter areas), you may see nobody even on a weekend. Lots of loons, the occasional moose - I think the Dacks are more similar in general to Maine's ecology than the Whites are, and are especially great if you like beautiful little ponds.

Trail guides - the Adirondack Mountain Club (ADK) puts out a series of trail guides, separated into the High Peaks, Central region, etc. They have full pull-out maps that are made of a more trail-hardy paper than the AMC maps. I think there are 8 books (including one for the Catskills), and they are very similar to the AMC White Mountain Guide. These guides even tell you the best "bushwhack" route up the "untrailed" peaks. I'm at work right now so I don't have one in front of me, but I think they're called, "Trail guide to the Adirondacks" or some such thing, with a book number for which one. If you're in a bookstore looking for it, the cover has a topo map on it shaded in in a different color for each book. You can get them at the bookstore in the Wilton Mall in Glens Falls, and probably many other places.

I lived there for 2 years after getting married, and pined away at first because I had to leave my beloved Maine. Now I'm back in New Hampshire, fully enjoying the Whites, while simultaneously pining away for the Adirondacks. They're a wonderful place to be.

Seth,

The other Posters pretty much summed it up. Welcome! You're going to love the Adks!

The guide book that Adam linked to is the same one that Umsa is referring to. You can also get these on Amazon, I think. These books, published by the Adirondack Mountain Club, are definitive. There are some other books running around out there by other authors, but they are just not as good.

I live in the Adks. I've hiked and camped a few times in the Whites and Greens. My impression is that it is a little easier here. The areas where trails have easements over private land are well described in the books, and usually well marked with signs. In certain high traffic corridors, like Avalanche Pass, camping is restricted to designated sites. However, in most areas, wilderness camping is allowed, as long as you are 150 from a road, trail, or body of water, and below 3500'. The Leave No Trace ethic is encouraged.

It was pointed out that approaches are longer, and that's true. This is probably because there are no roads through the major passes, like there are through Franconia, Pinkham, etc. If Avalanche Pass, Indian Pass, and the Ausable Lakes Pass had highways (God forbid!), there would be alot of hikes that would be wicked steep starts right from the car. As it is, these passes are in a nice wild state.

TCD

A big plus is that you can drive up late in the 'Daks and can sleep in the back of your car or truck at a trailhead and no one is going to hassle you.

Also, With exception to Holiday weekends, many folks come to the Daks from virtually all 4 directions, making less of a traffic crunch than there is in the Whites, where most come from the South.

I would familiarize yourself with the rules for the East and West High peaks (they are different subtly from each other, substantially so from the Whites) and be aware there's more than the High Peaks.

Also, there's mud.

You'll know what I mean when you finally get there.....

You should have what you need to know from these wise posters. Barb McMartin's books (which is fairly accurate) have lots of interesting hikes and mild to very tight bushwhacks, especially her High Peaks guide.

As someone who lives in the Adirondack foothills, hikes the majority of my hikes in the Dacks, and has seen the good and bad of hiker etiquette, thanks for thinking ahead and trying to be on the right page. Which you'll find is pretty low key and common sense ethics.

As for guidebooks to browse without buying. My library has all the ADK regional (I think 6 or 7) Barb McMartins (again 6 or 7) and some of the 50 hikes series. So, check your local library, and remember to request a book from the librarian. Most systems can get books from other locations, and many will give a request to the acquisitions department and they will buy the book for the library collection. I've done that many times with research type books that I don't want to buy. They've bought several, and have located tons from other locations.

Hi Orphic Seth,

When I first started hiking in the ADKs, I found them to be really different. All my previous hiking was done in the Catskills and California. The air smelled different, the dirt and trees were different, and it reminded me more of the Black Forest in Germany - more 'woodsy' to me. I really grew to love the ADKs though and prefer them to anywhere else.

When I first started going for the 46, I didn't have money either. The one guide that got me through just about everything and came with a good map was the Guide to the Adirondack Trails issued by the Adirondack Mountain Club. I used the guide for the High Peaks Region. I also found that you could call the Adirondack Mountain Club at their headquarters if you wanted and they were always happy to help in my decisions in selecting a mountain to hike or if I had time or parking considerations - you don't have to be a member to call them, so except any long-distance charges, the call is free.

Joining the Adirondack Mountain Club was helpful too - there was a good network of people there. Also, I wasn't afraid to ask questions -- at the trailheads, at the Adirondack Loj, or JBL, there's no shortage of experienced hikers who are willing to answer questions. Of course, especially when I went into the more difficult solo/trailless hikes, my additional sources were VFTT and Barbara McMartin's book.

Excellent information! Wow, I am psyched! Thanks everyone, I'm really looking forward to moving up there! My hiking usually consists of several 2-3 day trips and multiple day hikes, with no more than 2 other companions, sometimes solo. While I enjoy hitting up summits and filling in blanks I'm not driven by lists, just the joy of being in the woods. I'm very excited about the multitude of ponds and quiet areas, my best trips last year avoided summits altogether and focused on ponds and the hiking it took to get there. It looks like I'll be all set!

Maybe I'll be pinging for companions when June rolls around and things slow up for me enough to get some time off. Stay tuned~

Orphic Seth -
If you are looking for solitude and not as much in the line of peaks, definitely check out the western Adirondacks region. It is virtually overlooked by many.
It is not uncommon on the NLP to go 1-2 days without seeing anyone.
My favorites over the years include Duck Hole and the Cold River Valley, West Canada Lakes and the Oswagatchie.

Last edited:
Being a smart aleck, my first impulse upon seeing this question was to respond that “the Adirondacks work very well, thank you.”

Other folks here have covered the ground nicely. I heartily endorse recommendations to look out beyond the High Peaks district for hiking possibilities. You will find them many and varied. I also endorse the ADK guidebook recommendations. The guides are a great series that constitutes a solid reference library for the region. The McMartin books also are very worthwhile.

One more thing I’d suggest is that you do some broader reading on the history and lore of the region. There’s a lot of such material available, and much of it is quite fascinating . . . if you like such things. And another: If you get the chance, visit the Adirondack Museum at Blue Mountain Lake. Admission is not cheap, but the exhibits are well done, interesting and informative.

Finally, do not be put off by rumors of oppressive and arcane regulations and overly aggressive backcountry cops (rangers). The regs are easy to find, understand and abide by, and the rangers are not all that often seen (in my experience, anyway) and almost invariably are more helpful and supportive than in Barney Fife mode.

Have fun. The Adirondacks is a great region.

G.

Welcome to New York! The two books that got me up the Adirondack 46 were McMartin's High Peaks book (great Tyvec map sold separately), and the ADK High PeaKs Guide (map included). My newest Adirondack High Peaks map is the new one from National Geographic. I highly recommend that one.

Of course, in addition to those books, the information shared by the users of ViewsFromTheTop has been incredibly useful. I've never seen the "Mt. Marcy & The High Peaks" map for sale anywhere in New York State. Go figure...

DOH!

Don't mean to be digging up an old post, but it looks like I'll be in -OHIO- for a while before being able to move to upstate NY... I'm not sure how long, maybe 2 weeks, maybe 6 months... who knows. I'll have time off now and again to get up there for some hiking, but I really was looking forward to living there. ...Patience grasshopper...

Thanks again for all your advice though, at least I have something to dream about!

http://www.adk.org/

Seth,

Try this link, I found some helpful information on it. At least you can order some very good maps of it.

Last edited:
re Adirondacks

A friend recommended a new map that just came out for the Adirondacks. It's National Geographic Adirondack Park Lake Placid/High Peaks Trails Illustrated ap. I got mine locally ($8.00) but the have a web site. www.nationalgeographic.com/maps

I like it because it lists the peaks and heights on the map and helps when I'm planning....I havent' done any mountains in NY yet and needed something that I didn't have to keep looking at a book and then the map.

I also got 2 other books but can't remember what the names were.....Happy Hiking.

AlpineSummit said:
Moving to upstate NY huh? How far upstate?

Think long & hard before you take the plunge friend - it ain't a very good move. I know, I did it myself.

The hiking is great, terrific even. It's other things that suck.......
Yeah, like the hours long stop and go traffic jams, the land covered with pavement and concrete, crowds of crazy people everywhere, the polluted smelly air and water, the garbage in the streets, the high violent crime rate with streets you are afraid to venture into, the drug lords, the gangs, the droughts, the hurricanes, the unbearable horribly hot summers, the useless wet muddy winters, the earthquakes... that all sucks upstate. Depends on what you like I guess.

Bring DEET... lots of DEET. Especially from Memorial Day to Independence Day. Your first blackfly encounter will... well, you'll find out. Also, bear canisters will be required this summer in the Eastern High Peaks.

Nessmuk - you forgot about the locusts.

Well, since this came back up, I'll go ahead and give the update. I got my shipping papers and I'll be out of Ohio in 2 weeks, and I'm moving upstate. By upstate, I mean upstate. Way way upstate. Needless to say, I'm quite excited! I have my bug juice and my head-net, and the Bear Vault Solo 250 is on its way.

SO! Here's a question

What is a good representative hike of the high-peaks regions? 4K is NOT a requirement. Some nice views, some ponds, and the less people the better. A two-day loop would be nice. Any ideas? I already have a bunch of smaller non-high-peaks hikes planned, but want a nice intro to the high-peaks without the big-names.

As I'll be out of internet access for a week or so, I thank you in advance.

the mud statement was key and a very interesting one that my girlfriend noted recently.

Open question:
Why do the Dacks have so much more mud than the whites?

Please delete if too off topic but....

What do people actually consider upstate NY? My reason for asking is, there are a lot of great areas outside of the State Park that can be wonderful for exploration and camping, but I don't really know where they are in relation to upstate NY, because I can't pinpoint "upstate"!