Mt Washington, Saturday 3/5

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaze

Reaction score
A spectacular day to be on the Rockpile. Up and down via the Lion Head winter route. We wore spikes as far as the first aid cache, crampons from there to the summit and back, then back to spikes.

p1786977100-5.jpg

p1718072646-5.jpg

p1641673156-5.jpg

p1647690020-5.jpg

p1815890889-5.jpg

p1806825264-5.jpg

More images on Zenfolio. Gallery, slide show

Jonathan

Great Shots. How much of an issue with the reported significant ice on the trails from the previous weekend?. Was the recent snow consolidated enough on top of the ice to provide traction?.

I was quite surprise on my Sunday Carrigan hike that ice was non issue.

Great Shots. How much of an issue with the reported significant ice on the trails from the previous weekend?. Was the recent snow consolidated enough on top of the ice to provide traction?.

I was quite surprise on my Sunday Carrigan hike that ice was non issue.

Thank you! I would agree, ice was a non-issue this past weekend. We were much relieved, after a somewhat treacherous trip over the Carters the weekend before. A bit of new snow has made all the difference. We could have safely switched back to spikes after reaching the upper junction with the Lion Head summer route. Our crampons took some abuse on the thinner sections, but dug in better in spots where the snow was deeper.

Thanks, I bet that will be relief for many folks, of course given this weeks forecast who know what it will be like on Saturday