Backpacks for 10 yr olds

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
4 boys are about 13' torso and 26" waist needing decent internal frame pack for overnight hikes. Not day packs or book bags. Standard backpacks seem to be starting just over these measurements. I'm thinking 3000 - 4000ci would be good. any specific names/models would be appreciated, thanks.

Why internal?

I realize the general trend is to go to internals and externals may be on the endangered species list but I would ask if an external is a better choice. If you are going through rough narrow trail or bushwhacking, I could see it but for a lot of established trails the major difference is that the kids have to learn to 1.) securely tie things on and 2.) be more consciencious toward "weather proofing"--double bagging etc..

The reason why I offer externals as a suggestion is that there are smaller externals for the Boy Scout type market. Externals may be more adjustable (a 10 year old probably hasn't hit their growth spurts yet) and may be cheaper.

Food for thought

I can't say I know this size range, but how about Kelty Yukon, which seems to go down to a 13" torso and holds 2900 ci. And then there's the Kelty Lynx, internal frame, 2750 ci.

Last edited:
Years ago, when she was a child, Prima Donna Grumpy carried an external frame pack similar to the Kelty Yukon that Tramper Al provided a link for, above. I think PDG’s was either an REI model or made by Camp Trails. No matter. It fit her properly and carried her stuff. That’s what counts.

G.

Maybe I'm just cheap (my wife would concur with that assessment), but unless money is no object I would check out Walmart/Kmart/flea markets/ for smaller external frame packs for 10 year olds. At that age, they're likely to grow out of them by the next hiking season - probably two seasons at the outside.

I agree with the replys given. An adjustable external frame pack will grow with the boys. I bought my son a Kelty Yukon when he was 11. He's still using it at almost 16. It should last through his scouting years. here are some other packs recommended for scouting age boys.

This is an internal frame that may work. I have no experience with this pack, but the torso length and price look good, it's volume is larger than were looking for.

What is most important for any pack you choose, is that it fits well and comfortably.

I got an internal frame backpack from LLBean for my nephew when he was 9. He used it for about 3 years, then handed it down to my grandgirl. It was about $70 at the time. Being a skinny guy, the adult packs didn't cinch down far enough for him, but his friends used the adult packs just fine.

I can't find it on the website, but you might be able to call LLB and find out if they still carry it.

Thanks, that's all good info. I've been looking on ebay for ideas and have nothing against external frames, but all the stuff there looks to be used and not available in any quantity. I'll check Sports Authority, and such, locally and check the links to the Kelty's (probably more $ than we want to spend, but...) and also the boyscout recommendations, thanks again, I'll let you know what happens, we're planning an overnight for mid april.

Edited:

this one is just slightly larger rated torso-wise than the Kelty Yukon Youth, but it's a pound lighter and half the price. Any "Outdoor Products" equipment experience out there ?

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=14470847&memberId=12500226

Last edited:
Chip,

The Dragonfly looks like a decent pack, but the minimum torso length they list is 15" - a full 2" larger than you specified. And I wouldn't think a range of only 15" to 18" would allow too many years of growth. However, at that price you might think about ordering one and sizing it up for each of the boys. If it fits none, you'll only have lost postage by returning.

I'll keep looking for you for something with 13" torso, lower in price than the $100 Kelty's.

Edit: I'm getting closer, and I'm not sure why I didn't find the Kelty Long Trail Jr before. External, torso 12" - 17", 2300 ci (but it's external so strap on more), 3 lb 7 oz, $65.

Also, REI is having their 'loading dock' store sales this Saturday. Maybe you could get lucky and find one or two junior packs at huge discount?

Last edited:
I'll get better measurements tonight. The 13" was my youngest/smallest.
My older and the 2 friends are probably 14 to 15" (THIS week :) !)
I appreciate the help.

Our kids have had good luck with the external frame packs, as others mentioned, they seem to be more adjustable as the child grows. Try out some of the womens sized packs.

Chip said:
this one is just slightly larger rated torso-wise than the Kelty Yukon Youth, but it's a pound lighter and half the price. Any "Outdoor Products" equipment experience out there ?

Some of the boys in our troup have the Outdoor products packs. They seem to hold up well. We have not done a lot of backpacking over long distances, so I don't know how comfortable they are. I think Walmart carries some of their products. For the price they have a good product especially if the boys aren't fully committed to using them a lot. If you know that they will get a lot of use, it would be worth spending more for a better product.

Well, that worked out well. I got my younger son, who is a 13" and more enthusiastic about hiking (he's already done a winter overnight with me), the Kelty Yukon Youth. I got my older son, who is a 15" and slightly less compelled, the Outdoor Products Dragonfly. It looks like the other boys may do the same. Thanks for your help, all !

90387.jpg

Last edited:
Here in the Binghamton NY area there is a Eureka Camping Center factory outlet. They sell all kinds of packs and tents (and other gear) that are new, factory seconds (cosmetic flaws) and returns that have been factory repaired (the factory is right there). I have always thought the prices were really good. They have an annual sale in March where the prices are really low. I've gotten the packs for my kids there. At the annual sale people come from all over...it inundated with boys scout leaders looking for stuff for their troops....they do have a web site....

I'm not affiliated with them at all...just enjoy a good bargain.

All of our boys had the Kelty external packs and they wore well. I see lots each summer at yard sales and flea markets fpr $5 and always pick em up to donate to the local scouts

I got the packs yesterday.
The Outdoor Products Dragonfly looks like an adequate pack, it's light and seems durable.
We'll outgrow this one in a few years.
As one might guess, the Kelty Yukon Youth is a REAL pack, substantial, full of features and adjustments.
We'll have this one forever.

Last edited: