Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Cog is in the news again for potenitally unpermitted building

The Cog is in the news again for potenitally unpermitted building

https://www.unionleader.com/news/pol...b334c2899.html

I expect the next Coos County planning board meeting will be an interesting one.

From the minutes instead of a reporter.

"Chairman Scarinza discussed an issue that had been brought to his attention regarding warming
    huts that were constructed last fall about 4,000 feet along the railroad. Chairman Scarinza is
    concerned that it needed site plan review and a zoning permit. He stated that he discussed this
    Mr. Presby prior to the meeting and that Mr. Presby’s interpretation of the zoning ordinance is
    different. Chairman Scarinza requested that before the next meeting that Mr. Presby provide a
    memorandum to the board explaining his interpretation of the zoning ordinance or submit a site
    plan application. "

Mr Presby is a blessing for N.H. and one of the smartest men in NH. I wish him and the Cog the best.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    https://www.unionleader.com/news/pol...b334c2899.html

I expect the next Coos County planning board meeting will be an interesting one.
    Is there a way to view this article without actually subscribing to the source cited? Not only is the Union Leader a politically biased source. I really don’t care to take on any cookies they may be trying to mine.
    Last edited by skiguy; 05-17-2019 at 04:09 PM.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    I
    Is there a way to view this article without actually subscribing to the source cited? Not only is the Union Leader a politically biased sourced I really donít care to take on any cookies they may be trying to mine.
    Like I posted I got mine info straight from the Coos county planning board site. No reporters bias or false information and facts. The minutes say it all and nothing else needed.

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    Is there a way to view this article without actually subscribing to the source cited? Not only is the Union Leader a politically biased source. I really don’t care to take on any cookies they may be trying to mine.
    Most modern browsers have an incognito mode (browse in private, ...) which will discard any cookies or other traces of activity once closed.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCaper View Post
    From the minutes instead of a reporter.

https://www.cooscountynh.us/sites/co...es/05-8-19.pdf

Tim
    Last edited by bikehikeskifish; 05-17-2019 at 04:52 PM.
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Great info Tim. Thanks!
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCaper View Post
    "Mr. Presbyís interpretation of the zoning ordinance is different"
    But whose interpretation is it that really matters here? This reminds me of something... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kzb6uf0U0k
    | 63.8% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    whose interpretation is it that really matters here?
    Reminded me of the General Bashington T. Bullmoose quote "What's good for General Bullmoose is good for the USA!" The General was not a big fan of regulation either.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Reminded me of the General Bashington T. Bullmoose quote "What's good for General Bullmoose is good for the USA!" The General was not a big fan of regulation either.
    I was 99% certain that had to be a cartoon, but still had to look it up.
    | 63.8% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    I was 99% certain that had to be a cartoon, but still had to look it up.
    Actually from the Broadway Musical and subsequent movie. The original oft repeated quote from the comic strip was less inspired: What's good for General Bullmoose is good for everybody, or something like that.

For those in the area, the Coos County Planning Board is meeting Wednesday Night in Berlin

https://www.cooscountynh.us/sites/co..._19_agenda.pdf

They reference a letter dated May 23rd from the Cog which I assume discusses the potential unpermitted building issue that was raised at the last meeting. The Auto Road was reported in the original article that their interpretation of the Cogs rights on the summit were different than the cog.

Could be an interesting meeting as much for what doesn't get in the minutes as for what does
    Last edited by peakbagger; 06-18-2019 at 09:16 AM.

Democracy can be interesting but you have to show up.
    - Dave (a.k.a. pinnah)

" Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat." - John Lehman, US Secretary of the Navy 1981-1987

I did show up, the buildings are not permitted and will require a zoning special exception/variance due to their location and elevation.

Mr Presby stated they are for the public's use predominately as warming huts. Complete with a fireplace and porta potty.

The primary discussion was about a new cog siding at the summit. It was quite interesting. The new structure is going to be roughly 50 feet wide and 120 feet long and is going to impact traffic flow at the summit. The autoroad was there with their lawyer who explained their objections to the new 11 foot high platform. It turns out that the state owns the land in this area and the Cog only has a non exclusive right to use the area for railroad operations. The autoroad also has non exclusive rights for a turning circle for horses and carriages in the same area. Before the cog proceeds with this project they have to also get special exceptions and variances but even before that the state has to agree with the concept. I expect all the users of Mt Washington, the same ones that have been getting a lot of flack from Presby will be involved in giving input on the state.

I would prefer no more buildings above treeline. The Cog should remove their unpermitted buildings or be fined daily while they are still standing