4 days in Acadia National Park with kids - Recommendations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HockeyPuck

Reaction score
Little Puckster and Puckette (the kids, age 10 and 12) and I will be spending 3 nights/4 days camping in Acadia National park this summer. I'm looking for any suggestions, recommendations, and must see items?

Thanks in advance
-HP

Little Puckster and Puckette (the kids, age 10 and 12) and I will be spending 3 nights/4 days camping in Acadia National park this summer. I'm looking for any suggestions, recommendations, and must see items?

Thanks in advance
-HP

Take the shuttle every where. Stop at visitor center first thing and get info. Many things to do. I assume your a hiker. Many easy and or long hikes there from shuttle access. My grandson 8 yrs just did Bee hive cliff face and loved it. Also Bubble Rock he loved. Easy interesting hikes. My wife and I stay often at Blackwoods Campground and take the shuttle from there. Also we can hike from there to Cadillac Mt. Which a great hike with views. Many hikes all thru the park. Bar Harbor is cool to go see and buy some homemade Ice Cream or have some Lobster.

Breakfast at "Café This Way."

A nice 4-5 loop can be done from Jordan Pond House going up and over Sergent and Penobscot Mt and down around the pond. Pemetic Mt. is also a great bang for your buck hike that does not see the crowds of neighboring Cadillac. I really enjoy staying at Blackwoods. Many drive to Cadillac for sunrise but just as nice from the rocks on the ocean right from the campground. Have fun.

Blackwoods Campground is awesome place. I've used it as base camp couple of times. It is short walk to some sea cliffs with great views. I recall being out on cliffs on full moon and being awestruck by the reflection of the moon on the ocean waves. Pre-marriage and pre-kids we did on hike from Blackwoods all the way to Cadillac summit which is beautiful gently grades with open ledges all along the way. I don't recall mileage - could be doable by your kids if they like to hike. Last time we went as family was when our kids were yours age. One of my kids freaked out on the Beehive Trail. There are couple of short stretches of trail where there are no handholds and drop is huge. He went running back down the trail in panic. Needless to say that was memorable, but not in a good way.

Sadly Acadia is very similar to Whites in that visitation is steadily increasing and many of the most popular places have lost their magic due to over-crowding. Happy are those who can make it there in off seasons or able to by studying a map are able recognize interesting terrain and trails less visited. Rangers are good persons to inquire with. The carriage roads are lots of fun on mountain bikes. They were designed for gilded age carriages so are not-technical and gently graded. Penobscot Mount mentioned in prior writer is probably good choice. I think most of higher summits are open. I recall one hike I did to Beech Mountain over by AMC Echo Lakes Camp had fine views and was not crowded. Hope this helps!! Have a great time!!!