Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mayday! Mayday! Mayday! Ahhh, Fugetaboutit.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    We know they had both a working phone and service. Initial contact was made around 6:00pm and second contact was made at 9:30pm. They didn't reach the trailhead until 1:00am. They should have called 911 with their intentions the second they decided to head back down the mountain from the spot they knew they had service. I would frame failure to do so as inconsiderate.
    This still assumes that by the time they committed to descending that they had a working phone and the ability to use it. What kind of phone did they have? What were they told by the 911 operator? There are lots of potential factors that we don't know. I'm pointing out assumptions because without more information, we need to allow for the possibility that they couldn't call back. It's not as though we have to make a decision based on the information we have right now, so there is no need to force a hasty conclusion for the sake of satisfying our own curiosity (or ego, for some of us).

I'm not arguing that they weren't at fault, I'm arguing that I'm not certain they were yet.
    | 63.0% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    This still assumes that by the time they committed to descending that they had a working phone and the ability to use it. What kind of phone did they have? What were they told by the 911 operator? There are lots of potential factors that we don't know. I'm pointing out assumptions because without more information, we need to allow for the possibility that they couldn't call back. It's not as though we have to make a decision based on the information we have right now, so there is no need to force a hasty conclusion for the sake of satisfying our own curiosity (or ego, for some of us).

I'm not arguing that they weren't at fault, I'm arguing that I'm not certain they were yet.
    They had no lights, inadequate clothing considering it was near freezing at the summit, not enough food or water. They had to borrow headlamps from other hikers to make it down. I don't call it Monday morning quarter backing, I call it, calling a spade a spade.