Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hiker Death on Garfield

Hiker Death on Garfield

https://patch.com/new-hampshire/conc...ical-emergency

I was out hiking yesterday, despite the forecast for reasonable relative humidity, the heat and humidity came on early.

RIP

'Springtime' on the Carters (Tamworth, NH)
    Reasonable take: This is tragic and I'm sorry for his family's loss. These stories come up from time-to-time and it's always sad and reminds us of our mortality.

Cynical take: I assume hiking with a medical condition is reckless and his next of kin will be sent the bill for the recovery.
    | 64.5% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    Reasonable take: This is tragic and I'm sorry for his family's loss. These stories come up from time-to-time and it's always sad and reminds us of our mortality.

Cynical take: I assume hiking with a medical condition is reckless and his next of kin will be sent the bill for the recovery.
    These are always tough ones to call/judge without more information. It always sucks when someone dies doing something they enjoy regardless of the reason. I'd much rather be ripping his decision process while he recovers at home. A lot of times it isn't true negligence per se but a combination of the right circumstances that adds up to it being "your day". Hopefully we'll learn more in the coming days about the circumstances.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

It says "medical emergency" not "medical condition".

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Wow, this is a tough crowd.

If I code (instead of my usual bonk) on a hike at some point in the future be nice, OK?

I wonder how Guy Waterman's end would be construed today? Pay for the carry out?
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama

I expect that someday something similar will happen to me. How many other activities put as much stress on the body as hiking up a mountain? It's sad that he was only 57. I don't see any recklessness.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    Wow, this is a tough crowd.

If I code (instead of my usual bonk) on a hike at some point in the future be nice, OK?

I wonder how Guy Waterman's end would be construed today? Pay for the carry out?
    He had his friends go up and get him, I believe. I think his end would be a contentious discussion. Personally, I understood what he did and frankly feel like, it was his life to do with what he pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    https://patch.com/new-hampshire/conc...ical-emergency

I was out hiking yesterday, despite the forecast for reasonable relative humidity, the heat and humidity came on early.

RIP
    Olav ha-sholom. All things considered, I'd rather die on Garfield than in a hospital bed or in my little work cubicle "on the 31st floor with a gold plated door." Damn, he was younger than me.
    Makes me want to climb Garfield again.
    "I am a pilgrim and a stranger"

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    I expect that someday something similar will happen to me. How many other activities put as much stress on the body as hiking up a mountain? It's sad that he was only 57. I don't see any recklessness.
    More folks drop dead of some form of a sudden heart attack which is probably what it was just hanging around the home or work then hiking so. It can happen anytime. Better up there then driving his grandkids to a practice.

And signs for it aren't always there to give a heads up. With all the aches and pains I have that don't go away or change weekly I always wonder if I'm going to drop any time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quotefancy-40943-3840x2160.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	6453

Will Rogers had it right...

I assume hiking with a medical condition is reckless [...]
    My cousin who is a medical professional once told me: "there are no people who are in perfect health, there are only those who have not been examined thoroughly enough."

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    He had his friends go up and get him, I believe.
    Yes, he and Laura had made arrangements for the recovery. Unfortunately there was a storm coming in sooner than originally forecast so they did send up a helicopter (contrary to what Guy probably would have wanted) to confirm the location before the team went in. (This is my recollection from Laura's book, not first-hand.)

A few years ago before a Scout Trip to Mizpah, a scout leader from another state apparently had a heart attack coming off Pierce, next Sunday, my wedding anniversary, I was going to hike Garfield with my two kids. It's all random, is it? I'm looking at hiking Friday and Saturday with total mileage under what my son & I did on last Saturday on Cliff in the ADK. Garfield is not steep except at the end, however for those older men, like myself thinking their in shape, for someone well past mildly obese..(me, I don't know what this guy looked like). Hot and humid may be worse than technical. (At least last weekend it snowed, lightly, most of the morning in the High Peaks)

It's doubtful there will be any fee & over the last two years, I've been a virtual (as in scoped, scanned, ultrasounded) pin cushion. Thinking Sunday we may opt for Middle Sugarloaf so we can get home earlier.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Whoa!!!!!!!
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    Whoa!!!!!!!
    I know huh. This dude is not rescuing any ducks from a sewer anytime soon.