New EMS Order Policy

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
EMS is no longer being accomodating as they used to be.

I ordered a Thule adaptor on 8/8...the web site said it was not available locally. Later that day, I was in the in the store browsing and found 2 of these adaptors. I bought one and sent an email request that evening to customer service to cancel the order.

3 days later I get an email saying basically too bad..you can can't cancel an order under any circumstances..its our policy. Specifically...

"We work hard to ship orders to you as quickly as possible. For this reason, once an order has been placed it cannot be cancelled or modified. Once you have received your item you may return it, with original proof of purchase, for a refund within one year of the purchase date."

They get around to shipping the part on 8/20...12 days after the order was placed....with a $5 dollar "surcharge" and $10 shipping for first class mail from Connecticut.

So, in a nutshell, they are no longer as accomodating as REI, they have added some kind of surcharge, and their web site is not accurately reporting stock.

I can return the part at the local store, but I am out $15 for shipping.

Last edited:
EMS is no longer being accomodating as they used to be.

I ordered a Thule adaptor on 8/8...the web site said it was not available locally. Later that day, I was in the in the store browsing and found 2 of these adaptors. I bought one and sent an email request that evening to customer service to cancel the order.

3 days later I get an email saying basically too bad..you can can't cancel an order under any circumstances..its our policy. Specifically...

"We work hard to ship orders to you as quickly as possible. For this reason, once an order has been placed it cannot be cancelled or modified. Once you have received your item you may return it, with original proof of purchase, for a refund within one year of the purchase date."

They get around to shipping the part on 8/20...12 days after the order was placed....with a $5 dollar "surcharge" and $10 shipping for first class mail from Connecticut.

So, in a nutshell, they are no longer as accomodating as REI, they have added some kind of surcharge, and their web site is not accurately reporting stock.

I can return the part at the local store, but I am out $15 for shipping.

EMS went bad well over a decade ago. Still, I'd call up customer service and contest the charges. Tell them that you'll take your business to REI. (Or Outdoor Gear Exchange—locally owned and they do price-matching. I've had great experience with their customer service, and the owners treat their employees and community well. That said, their complete inventory is not on their website, so call if you have a question.)

Sometimes you have to read the fine print first.

There was a time in the 1970s when REI and EMS were practically equivalent mail order suppliers, except that REI was a co-op and offered dividends to members. I used to save REI catalogs which contained lots of useful outdoor skills tips, as well as the financial statements and outdoor trip articles written by board members of the company. All good stuff. EMS had no such offerings. Then some marketing genius decided that EMS would no longer sell goods by mail or catalog and stopped that process totally, sales through the stores only. After a couple of years they realized what they had lost and restarted the catalog business. Of course all online now. They haven't been the same since. I use the REI credit card and get dividends not only on REI purchases, but on other general purchases as well.

EMS has been a trademarked brand name only for several years. Last thing I knew the trademark was owned by Dicks Sporting Goods.

Like many things good companies go away, sadly the EMS of old has died a couple of times and its corpse is propped up to keep some revenue for some conglomerate.

EMS has been a trademarked brand name only for several years. Last thing I knew the trademark was owned by Dicks Sporting Goods.

Like many things good companies go away, sadly the EMS of old has died a couple of times and its corpse is propped up to keep some revenue for some conglomerate.

It's owned by Fraser Corp, a UK based conglomerate who also owns Bob's Stores and, fittingly, among other things, store called "Sweatshop." Not surprising, they have a history of labor abuses at their SportsDirect distribution centers that would make Jeff Bezos proud.

EMS has been part of LBO's for the last couple of sales and loaded with debt. Lucky for me, I acquired so much gear from my three years of part time EMS employment that I am in old but seldom worn (through a large rotation) clothing and with some heavily discounted deals on the odd fleece shirt or lined pants from LL Bean or from Ragged Mt. (There should be no reason to ever buy gear at full retail price unless you fly somewhere and realize you left gloves or boots at home.)

Well, I used to shop EMS, but when their selection became limited, I took my business elsewhere and haven't been back.

Well, I used to shop EMS, but when their selection became limited, I took my business elsewhere and haven't been back.

Yup. And I think REI picked up on EMS's smell of death and that was part of their decision to move into the N Conway market.

What can you say about a company that decided to built a store right next to Campmor? Well, Campmor is still there but that EMS store didn't last long...
They are still in Paramus.That’s Campmor not EMS. Wow...I guess not investing in fancy glossy catalogs payed off.