Hiking Boundary Peak Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpalaia

Reaction score
Hello-with the border closed to non essential travel I'm interested in getting feedback on the other options to getting up to Boundary in the near future. I've read about the bushwhack from White Cap, as well as a Bushwhack from Big Island Road. There seem to be some hints out there in blog posts about other approaches from the United States side, but no details are offered on navigating to their starts. Any ideas or feedback are welcome. Thanks!

Welcome to VFTT.

I'd avoid attempting to access from the south Canada / Kennebago River Rd as it's gated at Crowley Brook (as shown on the DeLorme Atlas). Not sure about the Northern access approach.

the Bushwhack from WhiteCap isn't bad. Pencil woods as you get closer to the border.

You might want to consider Wiggle Brook to Oxbow Express/Cupsuptic Pond then driving Porter Brook Rd to the bend. Wide open woods if you take a bearing to Mon 450 peak.

4 tips:

Bring a Passport
Wear your orange.

the snow has melted.. ;-)
Enjoy the adventure

Note that the swath is Heavily hunted from the Canadian side.

Not sure what their seasonal dates are but you’ll see many blinds in the lower section before the one mile climb up to Boundary’s summit.

The US border patrol reportedly keeps a close eye on roads near the border with both visible and hidden surveillance. A VFTT member at one point reported being questioned twice in two days by the border patrol during a winter attempt. If I remember correctly the BP suggested contacting them to let them know about hiking in the area and suggested that they could let the hikers know about road conditions. My guess is this would vary widely with the current BP staff.

The roads and the condition of them vary widely depending on the level and location of logging. Keep an eye out for washed out culverts, they are frequently marked by a stick stuck don into them.

Note that the swath is Heavily hunted from the Canadian side.

Not sure what their seasonal dates are but you’ll see many blinds in the lower section before the one mile climb up to Boundary’s summit.

One mile climb from which starting point? thanks!

Thanks for the feedback so far, does anyone know if I'll need a 4x4 to get the access road to Snow Chain of the Ponds? Planning a 4x4 for the rest, but this seems like a more maintained dirt road from what I've read.

Hello-with the border closed to non essential travel I'm interested in getting feedback on the other options to getting up to Boundary in the near future. I've read about the bushwhack from White Cap, as well as a Bushwhack from Big Island Road. There seem to be some hints out there in blog posts about other approaches from the United States side, but no details are offered on navigating to their starts. Any ideas or feedback are welcome. Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies and feedback folks. Separate question, is the road that leads to the start of Snow Peak Chain of Ponds driveable without 4x4 drive?

Thanks again!

To Snow Mountain you usually can make it in a car unless it is extra muddy or snowy or the gate is closed.

You have more choices if you just need Boundary. The traditional southern approach that uses the border swath. While the border crossing road is closed below Porter Brook. You can access this area by using porter brook road instead. They have been working in there and the bridge was rebuilt a few years ago when they closed the bridge to Cupsuptic Lake. If you have a truck you can almost reach the 3000 foot peak above Denison Bog. Then it is an easy hike up old lumber clearings to the boarder swath. Problem is the Bog really can suck in the wet season and the hunters on both sides of the swath make this route right now a no go.
You can also follow this road to link up to the original White Cap to Boundary route by whacking from porter brook north. East of the Bog and West of White Cap. Obviously the 2nd option is the original route. The 3rd alternative is to drive Kennebago River Road up to Gravel Crescent Road. If the gate is open you can drive to within a mile or so of the peak. If not the hike up the road is much safer than the border swath. The trick is the whack is at the peak but it is hard to miss the border swath at that point.
I suggest driving an older truck on all these roads, bring along an axe or chain saw in case a tree or two fall after you get in the woods deep and be ready to spend a night or two just in case.
With all that said I would wait until hunting season is over to get Boundary.

Last edited:
You can access this area by using porter brook road instead. They have been working in there and the bridge was rebuilt a few years ago when they closed the bridge to Cupsuptic Lake. If you have a truck you can almost reach the 3000 foot peak above Denison Bog.

I believe that is a temporary bridge they put there when they are currently logging. Otherwise it's not there. It wasn't up 2 years ago but I heard it was there last winter. Hit or miss.