Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smartphones put hikers in danger. What a surprise

Quote Originally Posted by maineguy View Post
    If you need a cellphone with a GPS app you should stay out of the woods.
    +++Absolutely.
    "She's all my fancy painted her, she's lovely, she is light. She waltzes on the waves by day and rests with me at night." - Nessmuk, Forest and Stream, July 21, 1880 [of the Wood Drake Canoe built for him by Rushton]

Interesting how semantics work. If you use a cellphone and a GPS only in the woods you might land up staying there permanently. This subject without doing the calculations might be one of the most discussed subjects on this board. I really enjoy not using a Cellphone in the woods. The use of analog devices exercises a different part of my brain than digital devices. I find a certain purging cognitively that this provides. Like the old saying goes.”Time to get away from it all”.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

We only use cells for finding GeoCache's and pictures. Both my wife and I run a gps all day and preload points or tracks from PC topo maps and or previous recorded trails we did. Plus we carry multible maps and compasses. I will not hike without a gps running all day. And I won't hike with someone who doesn't have and or use them.
    Neither will she hike without one running all day after seeing what it can do over the 24 yrs of using them on the trails and saved data for later use in PC work.

Cell phones for navigating is the least of worries for those using them. After getting lost they freeze to death or get a broken leg due to lack of gear and other factors. Ha.
    Last edited by CaptCaper; 07-23-2021 at 06:07 PM.

That comment makes you sound like a Luddite: someone who is opposed or resistant to new technologies or technological change.

Maybe the operant word in your post is need.

Do I need to use GPS and cellphone? Well, yes, to satisfy my curiosity and maybe find a better way to do something.

I find playing with new technologies as they become available fun and educational!!

Rejecting them out of hand is throwing the baby out with the bathwater
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    That comment makes you sound like a Luddite: someone who is opposed or resistant to new technologies or technological change.

Maybe the operant word in your post is need.

Do I need to use GPS and cellphone? Well, yes, to satisfy my curiosity and maybe find a better way to do something.

I find playing with new technologies as they become available fun and educational!!

Rejecting them out of hand is throwing the baby out with the bathwater
    Well I guess that makes me not only a Luddite but also a Curmudgeon. Don't need all that who ha!
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

I always mention the space shuttle etc..Bezo's new toy is all flown on electronics not paper and compass.

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    Well I guess that makes me not only a Luddite but also a Curmudgeon. Don't need all that who ha!
    ALL RIGHT!!

I hope then you pine tar you skis, climb in Super Guides, have wooden Bearpaws with leather bindings, pack a 60/40 and fire up the Optimus 111 at dinnertime.

By the way, I still have all that stuff in my basement.

i have never learned as much about navigating far off trail and landscape formations (as well as when on trails), while at the same time throuroughly enjoying the process as I do by gaining experience of going my way by map and compass only. All long before anyone could even spell GPS.

I do use a GPS as a madatory peice of equipment in just two instances:
    1) as a Crew Boss during SAR incidents when precision to a very few meters is necessary and may help to save a life (or recover a body). That is the only time when such location position accuracy is necessary.
    When I am standing on a mountain peak, I know where I am on the map. When I am at a trail junction or bend, I know where I am on the map. When I stand on the shore of a small pond, I know where I am on the map. That is all the geolocation precision I need to proceed on my way.
    2) When canoe racing while planning and navigating a new course on a complex river (such as the Yukon) to monitor speed so that I may gain speed and distance advantage over my competition. I may even use two GPS units simultaneously showing different information displays.

On the other hand, when I am hiking for my own recreation pleasure in the wilderness, I gain no better joy and satisfaction than when I leave the GPS at home and use my vision and cranial thought processes to succeed with map and compass. Do I get occasionally confused? Sure, but I find there has been no better way to learn and improve than to make a mistake and learn from recovery. Mistakes become increasing rare with experience.

I do indeed exclusively use waxable skis (never no-wax; pine tar is difficult to find now), I do have and use wood frame bearpaws (and Alaskans) with leather bindings, and recently used my Optimus 8R on a camping trip.
    Last edited by Nessmuk; 07-24-2021 at 09:27 PM.
    "She's all my fancy painted her, she's lovely, she is light. She waltzes on the waves by day and rests with me at night." - Nessmuk, Forest and Stream, July 21, 1880 [of the Wood Drake Canoe built for him by Rushton]

ALL RIGHT!!

I hope then you pine tar you skis, climb in Super Guides, have wooden Bearpaws with leather bindings, pack a 60/40 and fire up the Optimus 111 at dinnertime.

By the way, I still have all that stuff in my basement.
    I only have one question then. Do you like SPAM?

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    I only have one question then. Do you like SPAM?
    Actually a few 20 oz cans of Dinty Moore beef stew is my go-to nutrition choice.

How to cook spam:
    Find a couple of large non-toxic tree leaves. Maple and beech work good. Get a good bed of wood coals going from a small fire. Obtain a thin slice from the block of spam. Place said porcine morsel on a leaf, then place directly on the red hot coals, leaf side down. When the edges of the leaf char a bit, flip the sizzling reward over onto another fresh leaf. When that leaf chars, your delicioius prize is done. Some say to then throw away the slab of meat and eat the leaf, but don't ever do that. I just enjoy my hot sizzling calorie rich meal.

A can of Dinty Moore beef stew dehydrates beautifully at home (remove any globs of fat first). Package it, then rehydrate with hot water back to its original consistency and satisfying flavor when at camp.
    Last edited by Nessmuk; 07-25-2021 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJoe View Post
    I have Gaia on my phone but rarely use. It's more for local hikes and biking. But even they have some misinformation. Someone on ab FB group said they were doing the Sugarloaf's loop and was looking for more info. I said it's an out an back. They referenced Gaia. I no the trail in purple is there because the Sugarloaf Trail crosses it. It's a snowmobile corridor. But the one in green doesn't exist. At least not anymore. Perhaps years ago it was a snowmobile trail but was abandoned. At any rate, it's simple things like this that can get people completely lost. And I've seen the phantom trails in many other place with Gaia.

Your image just shows up as an X, but all the trails on the Gaia topo layer for the Sugarloafs are there and the mapping is accurate. The trail off the west side may not be official but it's very much in use. It's a nice loop.

Actually a few 20 oz cans of Dinty Moore beef stew is my go-to nutrition choice.
    Well then there is hope. At least we can agree to be fellow Hormelians.

I'd never use one, however, like most of us here, many of us would think of the Whites, ADK's and Southern New England as our backyards. If I don't go someplace new, I seldom bring a map and don't ever look at it. Our experience with these apps in NH should be carefully weighed as it's doubtful we needed the information to get to where we were needed to go, it was more likely we were wondering if it was as accurate as your memory.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Hope your not consuming the whole can........at just under a 1,000 mg of sodium per serv. @ 2.5 servings per can...well,
    you do the math