Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Rescue on 19-year old on Alqonquin

  1. #1
    Senior Member JoeCedar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Keene, NY
    Posts
    365

    Rescue on 19-year old on Alqonquin

    He survived because of phone contact and rapid response by Forest Rangers.

    https://dailygazette.com/2022/12/02/...cites-lessons/

  2. #2
    Senior Member maineguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    769
    They started out at 12:30PM to do Wright, Algonquin, Boundary and Iroquois What could possibly go wrong? He is lucky that the area is close to the LOJ and also the Interior Outpost near Lake Colden so Ranger access is less complicated, I would think. I thought that there was a regulation in the Adirondacks mandating snowshoes once there is so much snow on the ground. Maybe there wasn't enough at the LOJ to warrant them?
    Last edited by maineguy; 12-03-2022 at 11:02 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member ChrisB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Not quite yet
    Posts
    1,450
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeCedar View Post
    He survived because of phone contact and rapid response by Forest Rangers.

    https://dailygazette.com/2022/12/02/...cites-lessons/
    He texted his father asking him to send a picture of a map? Nuggies for that 19 year old.
    Don't let your mind write a check your body canít cash

  4. #4
    Senior Member skiguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    MWV NH
    Posts
    3,400
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    He texted his father asking him to send a picture of a map? Nuggies for that 19 year old.
    Even a blind pig can find an acorn in a pile of mud once in awhile.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

  5. #5
    Senior Member Mike P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colchester, CT
    Posts
    3,528
    Thankfully, because God loves idiots, (I've been the idiot on several occasions too.) he is still alive. The late start, poor gear (micros on Algonquin is a stretch even IMO) a friend who turned around, apparently no map as the Loj is the best exit. Unsure what their experience was, only 19 so even if Dad or scouts dragged him out a lot, most of his younger years likely weren't planning, just following. Maybe they were winter warriors, although the clothing and lack of micro's would seem to indicate otherwise. The State should fine him either lots of money or mandatory enrolment in the ADK's Winter Skills Class. (Similar to the AMC Winter Skills Course)
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Mike P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colchester, CT
    Posts
    3,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Thankfully, because God loves idiots, (I've been the idiot on several occasions too.) he is still alive. The late start, poor gear (micros on Algonquin is a stretch even IMO) a friend who turned around, apparently no map as the Loj is the best exit. Unsure what their experience was, only 19 so even if Dad or scouts dragged him out a lot, most of his younger years likely weren't planning, just following. Maybe they were winter warriors, although the clothing and lack of micro's would seem to indicate otherwise. The State should fine him either lots of money or mandatory enrolment in the ADK's Winter Skills Class. (Similar to the AMC Winter Skills Course)

    The State of NY and the hiker put out a youtube video on this. The soles on the boots are worn almost flat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfAiq7qi1M8
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •