New England's Long Distance Trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tramper Al

Hey,

I know most of you (us) are peakbaggers. Still, I have a fondness for the long distance trails of New England, so I thought I might put together a list of my favorites, with selected links. I'll start with the hiking trails and try to keep it concise. For those trails that continue outside of New England, I list only the NE miles. I often try to give out useful information here on VFTT about these trails, and I thought one big list could prove useful both as a resource as well as inspiration for seeking out a new trail experience.

I know that many of you know many of these trails quite well, but please let me know if this is generally useful.

Hiking

Appalachian Trail - 733 miles.
The great one, and my few comments can't do it justice. I encourage section hikers to take it on one state at a time. One thing that I particularly like is that hiking northbound, the state sections get bigger and the trail gets tougher and more wild as you go.
CT 52 miles
MA 90 miles
VT 149 miles
NH 161 miles
ME 281 miles
Appalachian Trail Conference
State by State
CT/MA Guide & Map
VT/NH Guide & Map
Maine Guide & Map
CT/MA/VT AT Sectioning Book
NH/ME AT Sectioning Book

Sunapee/Ragged/Kearsarge - Monadnock/Sunapee - Metacomet/Monadnock - Metacomet - Mattabeset - 344 miles.
A line of 5 distinct trails, reaching from Springfield NH nearly to Long Island Sound.
SRKG - 75 miles loop. Guidebook available on website.
MSG - 51 miles. Guidebook and map on website.
M-M - 117 miles. New guidebook edition due "any day now", or so we hope. Ordering information on website.
Metacomet and Mattabesett. The Metacomet is 51 miles, the Mattabessett about 50 miles, depending. The CT Walk Book is apparently out of stock. I have a copy, if you want to contact me with a specific question.

Long Trail - 270 miles.
The original long distance trail, born before the AT. Shares AT miles in southern VT, then takes on a character all its own above Maine Junction.
LT Guide
LT Map

Wapack - Midstate - North/South - 190 miles.
Three distinct trails, allowing end to end hiking from Southern NH to the beach at Block Island Sound.
Wapack NH 21 miles
Wapack Trail
Wapack Map & Guide
MST MA 92 miles
Midstate Trail
MST Guide
NST RI 77 miles
Unofficial North South Trail site
NST Guide

Cohos Trail - 162 miles.
Most of you probably know of the great northern trail through Coos County, NH. It may suffer from a few remaining road walking gaps, as young trails often do, but it travels through some fine northern New England country.
Cohos Trail
Guide
Maps

International Appalachian Trail (Maine) - 100 miles.
The IAT in Maine suffers from the double indignity of lack of support from both Baxter State Park and the companies that own the land between the park and New Brunkswick. As such, there is much more roadwalking than most of us would like. Still, a grand route can be plotted (at the hiker's discretion) though the northern sections of BSP to begin the walk to the Canadian border.
IAT
Route Description
Rough Map

Canoeing

Northern Forest Canoe Trail - 565 miles.
You know this is one of my favorites, and by far the longest inland canoe trail in the northeast. Taken as a whole, the route from Plattsburgh, NY to Fort Kent, ME requires a wide range of canoe travel skills. But at the same time, there are sections for everyone, regardless of boat, skill, or experience. Note that one special requirement for VFTTers traveling the NFCT is that you have to invite me along.
NFCT
Maps

Maine Island Trail - 325 miles.
This ocean trail is generally more suited to decked canoes, or even those sea kayak boats. There are over 120 islands along the way, many suitable for LNT camping. The annual guidebook comes with membership. Some of the campsites are open to anyone, for others you need current membership.
MITA

Wampanoag Canoe Passage - 70+ miles.
Speaking of Metacomet, or King Philip, this trail connects the North River (south shore Massachusett Bay) to the Taunton River (Narragansett Bay), thus giving small boats a route past Cape Cod. It's tidal waters and many short carries provide excellent training for bigger canoe trips.
Wampanoag Canoe Passage

Skiing

Catamount Trail - 300 miles.
An incredible resource, the Catamount runs the length of Vermont. It is the longest ski trail in the country, if I am not mistaken. Easy or difficult, there is a section for everyone.
Catamount Trail
Guide Book

So, these are the major New England trails that I am currently interested in. Please post any comments, opinions, or factual corrections you might be able to provide. Also, if you have experiences on any of these trails, or if you have other NE long trails that are your favorites, I'd love to hear about it. At the very least, the next time you hear me say "see you on the trail", now you'll at least know where I mean.

Last edited:
Hey thanks Al, very helpful (and thoughtful).......we missed you today on the M-M trail. We could have used another to share the bugs and the downpour! :D
See Dugan's trip report........

Hope you enjoyed your canoe/kayak trip........

....Jade

Very helpful to have all this info assembled in one place. Thanks very much. One small update: The Cohos Trail has published a set of topo maps dated 2005. There are 9 maps on three sheets. The CT website does not seem to note that but the map sets are in local bookstores here now. I bought one a few weeks ago. AMC has also brought out its new edition of So. NH trails, which may include some of the long distance trails. Haven't seen it yet so I'm not sure.

Hey Dugan,
I kind of set out to list those trails that I have a bona fide interest in completing. The Taconic Crest did not quite make it, mainly due to its short length and lack of connection to form a long route. Going through NY is OK. Both the CT AT and the NE NFCT leave NE briefly, though I follow them anyway. Please anyone feel free to put up a decription and links for your favorite NE long distance trail if I have left it off my list.

Last edited: