great gulf camping

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossgoddard

Reaction score
i'm looking for a spot to do a 3-5 mile pack in, and basecamp out of for 2-3 days while dayhiking. it would be with a moderatley in shape family member. someone told me about packing in to the great gulf, and going from there. what are the campsites like? is there a better spot? water avalability?
thanks
rossgoddard

The Osgood Campsite might be a good location for you. It is less than 3 miles in by the most direct route and is at the edge of the Great Gulf Widerness. There are platforms, water, and an outhouse. It is a WMNF facility and there is no caretaker or fee. There are several dayhiking options, most of them challenging for a "moderately in shape family member".

Steve

The Osgood campsite get a lot of use as its the first camping spot for AT hikers after they drop off treeline. There really arent a lot of "destination" type dayhikes in the area that dont require less than a 2500 climb except for Spaulding lake and they in general are getting out of the "moderate" range.

You may want to consider the Wild River valley as the dayhikes are a bit more moderate.

rossgoddard said:
i'm looking for a spot to do a 3-5 mile pack in, and basecamp out of for 2-3 days while dayhiking. it would be with a moderatley in shape family member. someone told me about packing in to the great gulf, and going from there. what are the campsites like? is there a better spot? water avalability?
thanks
rossgoddard
When I hiked Six Husbands recently, I ran into a lot of people who camped -- mostly in back country sites. There are some places to stay that I don't believe are listed on the map (but their are camping signs) along the Great Gulf Trail. It looked to me like people were camping off trail as well. I would suggest following the camping regulations because it is a Wilderness Area but it looked like there were places to stay about 3-5 miles in on the Great Gulf Trail.

As far as condition -- they're primitive sites. No facilities... I don't even think the Osgood Site has facilities. The Great Gulf Trail runs along the Peabody River (or close to it) and feeder streams for quite a ways so water shouldn't be an issue.

-Dr. Wu

AMA there is Osgood, a little further up there are some primitve sites at Clam Rock @ 3.1m. Then at the base of the 6 Husands tr (4.5m) there are a pair of sites on the end of the Wamsutta tr. then some more about 0.2 further up the GG tr.
0.5m Up the 6Husbands Tr, at the start of the Buttress tr, is another nice campsite.

Perkins Notch is a great place to stay - there's a lean-to shelter plus plenty of nice open area for tent setups, as well as abundant water. It's a very mellow hike in from either Wild River Campground or the end of Carter Notch Road. I'd recommend late in the summer, though, as it's a very buggy area and the approach can be muddy, too. The best day hike option from there goes right up the Rainbow Trail to Carter Dome.

Heck, you could camp right at Wild River Campground (primitive but car-accessible; no reservations) and do some fantastic day hikes, ranging from Moriah on one side to the Baldfaces via Eagle Crag on the other. Do check to be sure Spider Bridge has been repaired if that's on your route.

Another option I'm surprised nobody mentioned is Thirteen Falls tentsite, down below Galehead in the Pemi Wilderness. There's water, swimming holes, cascades, plenty of tent platforms ... that spot makes for a fine base camp for heading up to the Twins, Garfield, Galehead, or around to Owl's Head.

And finally, yes, there are some wonderful backcountry sites in the Gulf. They all have water very closely nearby in the form of a river or brook, and none have any privies. They're just hardened little clearings and are marked with little tent signs. No fires allowed. Any hike from in there is going to be a solid workout. Well, actually, the Buttress Trail up to Madison Hut wasn't that bad, and does get above treeline into views fairly quickly.

Last edited: