Arrow Slide to North Hancock Sunday, 7/31

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH_Mtn_Hiker

Reaction score
The original plan:
This day originally started out with Jade, Dugan, and I planning to hike 18 miles of the Metacomet-Monadnock Trail in Ma. After getting soaked in the rain within the first 2 miles Jade suggested we turn back. Dugan and I politely agreed and we returned to the trailhead, said our Goodbyes, then Jade headed home while Dugan drove me back to my car. (Edited after reading Jade's email :D)

The new plan:
Dugan and I arrived at the Hancock parking area at about 3:15pm. We organized our packs a little, donned the appropriate clothing and footwear and headed down the Hancock Notch Trail at 3:30...as I was stuffing one of Dugan's delicious blueberry muffins in my face. (yummy)

We hiked at a semi-fast pace to the base of the Arrow Slide arriving there at 5:00. There were several easy blow downs along the way. All brook crossings were easy and the H.N.Trail and the Cedar Brook Trail were relatively dry. One short section of the Hancock Loop Trail below the junction was muddy as usual.

The lower portion of the Arrow Slide looks similar to a dried up creek bed. As you move uphill the rocks get bigger and the slope gets steeper...much steeper. About halfway up the slide the rocks start giving way to slab and slab prevails on the upper third of the slide. Some parts of the slab were slightly mossy and wet.

This was the most challenging route up a mountain in the Whites I've tried. The combination of the steepness, openness, slipperyness, and views made for a thrilling ascent of North Hancock. If you liked the North Tripyramind Slide and the Huntington Ravine Trail you'll love this one. I can't wait to try it in the winter.

Dugan and I made our way up favoring the right side. When we reached the fork in the slide we stayed right and climbed to the upper most part of the slide. We reached the top of the slide at 5:55. Here Dugan went from shorts to windpants, then led the way into the shrubbery above the slide. The first 10 feet was very rough going, but then the trees opened up and we were able to easily proceed uphill where we found a slight herdpath (blue blazed) which we followed to the main trail reaching it in about 75 yds.

We followed the trail a few hundred yds. to the summit, then we went on to the view area for snacks. Then, as clouds enveloped us we decided to go back rather than going on to bag South Hancock. We'd already been soaked once this day.

With the exception of a little confusion at one the the brook crossings on the Cedar Brook Trail the trip back was uneventful. The Hancock Loop Trail ascending North Hancock is currently undergoing major renovations, mainly new steps. We returned to the parking area at 8:15 feeling considerably better than we did last Sunday after our 15 hour Adams via Huntington Ravine hike.

Next up: Monroe via Adams Slide Trail :D

...maybe.

Edit: Here's some pics

Last edited:
Spectacular!

Great Trip Report!! This has been on my radar for a while and I have a feeling that Barbarossa, after reading your report, might get this bug in his head as well.

The views must've been spectacular... did you get many pictures? Did you notice anything like a herdpath going over to the NW Peak? I've also been eyeing the slide slightly NW of the Arrow Slide which apparently people use to get to NW Hancock.

Again, great trip report... I really enjoyed reading this!

-Dr. Wu

Hahaha!! Noone will ever know who's telling the truth about who first suggested we turn around on the M-M trail! I do know one thing, though....while you were slogging away on the slippery slopes, I was enjoying a soft serve cone with jimmies! :p :p

Great report...your descriptions offered a vivid image of what the terrain must have been like......Good for both of you!

Wow - I'm impressed! That sounds like quite a trip, and one I've wondered about since seeing the slide when I did the Hancocks. Did you get any pics?

ive done the arrow slide on mt hancock a few times. if i can figure out how to use my scanner i can post a few pics. my 1969 guidebook(yeah baby!) also tells about the route up this slide. there used to be a huge cairn at the top. i remember it was covered with green slime in spots that made it nasty. the first time we bushwhacked up to the summit. the next time we were smarter. at the top of the slide, just go right and youll hit the trail real fast. when you do the adams slide tell me so i can stand at the bottom with a net in case you slip

There is still a cairn near the top of Arrow Slide. I've not gone digital, my pictures (along with the HRT pics from last weekend for those who've asked) are still in the camera waiting to finish the roll of film. Yes, the views were excellent. Especially those slides over on the Osceolas... hmmm.....

I had a blast on Arrow Slide. For me, it was easier than Huntington Ravine Trail. The loose scree at the bottom takes some care with foot placement. We mostly avoided the wet areas on the ledges. In parts, even the dry sections were a little slick, but not too bad. We stopped to look at the slide from the North Hancock loop. When looking, I thought it would be easier to stay toward the left of the ledges. Once we were up there, staying on the ledges toward the right proved to be preferable.

Got to test my brandy-new trail runners (Salomon XA Pro) since my other two good pairs were wet: one from the section of the M-M where Jade weenied out :D , the other from running with Dugan four-legs earlier in the morning.

"Next up: Monroe via Adams Slide Trail ...maybe."

Whaddaya mean "maybe"???

I know all about foreshortening, but from what I've seen of Arrow Slide it's not something I'd like to attempt without a parachute :D

wtg guys! And yes, any pics?

Bob

Get your pics here.

If you haven't done it already, it sounds like you guys might also like the abandoned Passaconaway Slide/Downes Brook Slide Trail, in my opinion, the best, most interesting route up Passaconaway.
Thanks, I see a nice loop going up Downes Brook Slide Trail and down Sabbaday Brook Trail. (4 4,000 footers and a NEHH :D)

my 1969 guidebook(yeah baby!)
Your '69 guidebook doesn't have the Little River Trail. My '55 guidebook does.:p When are we going up there anyways?

I truly enjoyed those pics.. I always wondered how desolate it looked on that slide.. very interesting indeed.

I am hoping someday to head up Walker ravine to the "other Lincoln Slide".. something Albee and I talked about. Perhaps a few of you could join us?

SJ

great trip report. sounds a bit challenging, but that's the best part! :)

The cairn on the left side of the slide marked the way for the path that used to exist for direct access to the summit. I've tried to see if any traces of the path still exist, but all that's there now is very thick scrub. A fun scramble for sure! Nice report.

Public apology to Jade

Sometimes my mouth (and keyboard) work faster than my brain, last night was one of those times. For those who don't know us, NH_Mtn_Hiker, Jade and I have done a lot of joking on the M-M trail sections.

My comment about Jade weenie-ing out was intended as a joke. We agreed, AS A GROUP, to turn around. I do not in any way disagree with that decision. Given the forecast (partly cloudy am, 20% chance of showers am, and highs in the high 70's to low 80's), none of us were prepared for a cool temps and heavy rain. Fifty degree temps and soaking wet and summer clothes and no rain gear + possible injuries = recipe for hypothermia = turn around. In addition, we've had a lot (and I do mean A LOT) of very wet hikes recently, and we're all getting a little tired of having pruny toes. Just ask Cantdog ;)

Jade, along with Carmen the Wonder-Dog, is much fun to hike with. Jade is a good hiker, not a complainer, and conscious of group welfare. And very entertaining!

That is a crazy hike and you did it in such a fast time?!!?!!?!
i think my hiking partner and I saw you heading in as we were on our way out. We were wondering to ourselves where the hell anyone was going at 4:30 in the afternoon - it seemed late to us to be starting up the a Hancock. I am stunned at the pace you took. I went up the maintained trail on N. Hancock and it took me nearly an hour and a half.

I can't wait to hear about the adams slide as my hiking partner and I are very interested in trying it. I also look forward to hearing how easily you find the adams slide. Good Luck and rock on

I am a weenie!! I am a weenie!!.........Dugan is so thoughtful......in fact she offered to carry my pack next M-M outing........

Note to self: purchase larger hydration bladder.....

I'm interested to head out on the next 'slide' outing.......

I really enjoy photos of and from slides. And these are great! I especially like shot #2 looking straight down the slide ...... looks a lot like one of Neil's photos from his Nippletop Slide trip last weekend.

patrickbrusil said:
That is a crazy hike and you did it in such a fast time?!!?!!?!
i think my hiking partner and I saw you heading in as we were on our way out. We were wondering to ourselves where the hell anyone was going at 4:30 in the afternoon - it seemed late to us to be starting up the a Hancock. I am stunned at the pace you took. I went up the maintained trail on N. Hancock and it took me nearly an hour and a half.

I can't wait to hear about the adams slide as my hiking partner and I are very interested in trying it. I also look forward to hearing how easily you find the adams slide. Good Luck and rock on

Was that you that suggested it would be easier to go up the North loop rather than the South loop?

I can't recall?

If a younger, fat, bearded dude told you to go up the north loop then it was definetly me.

I think I mostly just said hello to all those I past and wished them a good hike