Tent platforms

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moose

Reaction score
I'm planning on a multi-day trip in the Whites in a few weeks. I want to spend some nights at campsites that have tent platforms.

I've never pitched a tent on a platform before - always staked one out on the ground. I was looking for some tips. Do the platforms have places to tie-off guy-lines etc.? I'll be using a Eureka Zeus 2EXO.

Thanks

Most have eyebolts/ or nails that you could tie your lines to.

One thing I tend to do is try to fit the poles in between the slats of the tent platform to stabilize it, then use the guy lines to stretch out the vestibule, attaching the guy lines to the metal loops on the side of the platforms.

Freestanding tents are much easier to set up on a platform. I'm a Eureka fan; simple designs with a good combination of quality and price. I use this and this.

Steve

Last edited:
sp1936 said:
Freestanding tents are much easier to set up on a platform. I'm a Eureka fan; simple designs with a good combination of quality and price. I use this and this.

Steve

Steve I have my old Timberline and the thing has held up forever. Works good on tent platforms too.

Nothing to worry about with some good string (use nylon string that won't change size when wet) and a little ingenuity.
I pack my tent with loops of nylon twine (three or four feet, doubled) pre-attached to the tent's anchor loops and guy lines, to save time in the field and so I can't forget them. If I know I'm using a tent plaform I'll bring some extra.

Sometimes you can wedge a tent stake between boards, but this isn't too solid except in the direction normal to the planks.
The eyebolts are around the outside of the platform, spaced several feet apart. Use the twine to reach from them to your tent. On two sides, you can also use the ends of the boards as anchors.
There are usually some small rocks around that you can use as anchors, though Leave-No-Trace purists frown on this. Put them back when you're done.

I've used the Zeus in extremely high winds; it'll stay put even if the anchors aren't perfect. I suggest using the best anchors for the vestibule and the side vent covers, since those are the only parts that rely on tension.

Thanks for all of the feedback! I'll be sure to bring along enough spare line.