Bear Essentials in the Sewards

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prino

Reaction score
Myself and a few friends are planning on backpacking into the Sewards shortly and was wondering if there are any problems with bears in the Ward Brook leanto area?
Although cannisters aren't compulsory in the western adirondacks yet, I am considering purchasing one for food storage. I will miss all the fun of hanging food in the dark :( ....but the cannisters do make a lot of sense.
Your thoughts!

I am sure there are bears in that area but they lack the education of those in the Marcy dam-Flowed lands corridor. We heard one woofing nearby when we were arriving (in the dark) at the BB LT at the end of last November. We had cannisters loaded with fresh meat and bacon and it was a relief not to worry about our food either while sleeping or out hiking. It's a real no-brainer simply chucking the thing on the ground a ways behind the LT. One of the cannisters had been moved when we went to get it one morning.

The extra weight is not a big deal when you go there (Seward LT's) because the hike in is flat.

(We also carried a grill for the meat and a big buck saw for decent fires.)

Neil said:
I am sure there are bears in that area but they lack the education of those in the Marcy dam-Flowed lands corridor.

I wonder which is more dangerous....A dumb bear or a smart bear? :)

Neil said:
One of the cannisters had been moved when we went to get it one morning.
Any damage? This brings up the question of how strong these cannisters are. I know I've seen reports of them being opened or badly mauled somewhere.

I'll still most likely pick one up seeing as I'll need one in the Eastern high peaks anyway.