Success Pond Rd

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arghman

Reaction score
Goffstown, NH Avatar: No Once-lers or thneeds
Anyone got an update on condition of Success Pond Rd and trailhead access?

On 7/31/05 the road was ok, a few large dips (one near the beginning where the road curves downhill, a few in the area of the Success Tr / Goose Eye trailheads); the road leading to the Success trailhead / log landing was missing a sign but the signpost was there; the Goose Eye / Carlo trailhead was easy to spot.

I was up there on Wednesday, from Hutchins St to the Speck Pond Trail. The road is in OK shape. There was regrading going on along the first few miles and there are the usual rough spots and washboarding in some areas. The road has been widened significantly since last fall. Lots of logging going on and some gravel mining. A bulldozer was parked at the Carlo Col/Goose Eye trail head and had done some "work" in the parking area and along the old logging road that is the lower section of the trails; probably getting ready to log the area. Most vehicles should be able to make it in, just may need to go slow along some sections. I'm going up there tomorrow, can give you an update if you need it.
Happy hiking,
Don L

I was there last friday. I went in from ME Rt.26 to the Notch trail. The road was in good shape. Some small potholes and some washboard areas, but no problems. I drive a ford taurus and kept it around 15 mph and it wasn't too much rattling. Be aware (cuz I wasn't) that it's called York Pond rd. on the Maine side. It took me about an hour of driving up and down Rt.26 before I figured it out. I hope you have good weather. I was going to do the Goose Eye traverse as well, but got rained out. I did get to experience Mahoosuc Notch in the rain. Fun, though every surface was slick as ice. I can't wait to go back on a dry, clear day. Have a good hike!

update from yesterday -- as per Don L's comments (p.s. nice to meet you Don!) the road seems to have been regraded. The dips that were in the road in July appear to have been filled / smoothed. From Hutchins St in Berlin to the Notch Trail is in very good shape, for a gravel road.