TR: Camden Hills - The Grand Loop 4/2/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cushetunk

Reaction score
Today I went in search of a long afternoon hike that did not involve a long drive. Here's what I was able to put together in the Camden Hills. It's not much of a human interest trip report, but I've included some details and suggestions for people new to park who want to get beyond the short tourist routes. :eek:

-------------
Camden Hills Grand Loop
14.5 Miles (If the Maine Mountain Guide is correct, which I doubt.)
Approx. 2800 feet elevation gain (cumulative, from AMC map)

The Camden Hills are well known by casual hikers for three main destinations: Maiden Cliff, Mount Megunticook, and Bald Rock. (Mount Battie is popular too, but it also has an auto road.) Individually, each of these only involve a 2 or 3 mile round trip walk. My goal was to combine all three, and explore some less travelled trails along the way.

I parked at the Maiden Cliff lot on Route 52, and hiked up the one mile trail to Maiden Cliff. The view is excellent, looking south over Megunticook Lake and including some ocean views, too. I then continued climbing on the Scenic Trail, which lives up to its name as it traverses the Millerite Ledges. The name is for some kooky group that sat up there and waited for the world to end at the end of the 19th century. If I recall correctly, they were one disappointed group.

From the end of the Scenic Trail, I continued on the Ridge Trail, turning left after a short distance to Zeke's Trail. A short walk on a nice old road brought me to Zeke's Lookout. Apparently, Zeke sat up there during the Revolutionary War and watched for British ships approaching Camden Harbor. Today, that would be tough to do because it's grown in a bunch, but there is still a view.

I continued walking north, joining the Sky Blue Trail. This trail and Zeke's Trail were the best walking. They showed almost no signs of heavy traffic and the resulting erosion, and often moss or grass carpeted the way. The Sky Blue Trail meandered gently downhill passing through a fairly mature forest.

An alternate trail almost parallels the Sky Blue Trail: the Cameron Mountain Trail. This is used as a sled route in winter, and so it is not as nice as the narrow, winding Sky Blue path. (It does, however, make for nice skiing.)

You arrive on the Multi-Use Trail, which is basically a gravel road (marked "Snowmobile Tr" on AMC maps). A quick detour north and I was on the Bald Rock Trail, making the short climb to the summit. The view from Bald Rock (at 1100') is outstanding, taking in all of Penobscot Bay and then some. After a break, I went back down to the Multi-Use Trail.

The best thing I can say about the Multi-Use trail is that it went where I needed to go. Just under two miles of fairly easy dirt road walking brought me to the Slope Trail and the newly renovated ski lodge. The lodge is fancy, with tables, a woodstove, and a big stone fireplace. It was open for use, but today was too nice to be inside.

The Slope Trail climbs nearly 1000 vertical, erroded feet to the summit of Megunticook (1385'). (After everything so far, that made me go, yikes!) The summit is ledge with trees, so there's not much view, but a short walk downhill brought me to the sweeping vista at Ocean Lookout.

From Ocean Lookout, I had a dilemma: go back over Megunticook's summit and follow the ridge, or head down and stroll in the forest on the Jack Williams Trail. I chose the Williams Trail because I like walking beneath the dramatic 180-foot Megunticook Cliffs. Also, further along the trail, there are some nice clifftop outlooks. So I went down, and hiked below the ridge. Either route is nice, though.

Eventually, I reached again the Maiden Cliff Trail, and had a short descent back to the car. Mission accomplished, and an afternoon well spent. :D

That is a very nice hike. I think i did the exact same hike earlier this spring. The other hike to do in one day is the Bald Mt/Ragged Mt. Bald Rock Mt is my favorite of all the hikes. Mt Battie is also a nice night hike to go see all of Camden and the islands lit up at night time.

king tut said:
Bald Rock Mt is my favorite of all the hikes.

Yeah, I completely agree. Well, I guess the summit is my favorite. The hike up is somewhat uninspired. Especially today, since some idiot took an ATV up the trail and left some sections pretty muddy. :mad:

But, each summit has its own highlights. For example, I have great memories of telemarking on Cameron Mountain last winter.

I've done parts of that hike, remembering how mosquito infested some parts of that park is.

I enjoyed Maiden Cliff. The moral of the story that is written there is "Hats are cheap". ;)

Believe it or not, Megunticook is the Knox county highpoint, you could actually be peakbagging and not even know it! :)

Jay