Carr Mountain 4/19/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDawg

Reaction score
Took a trip to a less-traveled peak today and it was great! Carr, at about 3400 feet, is a very lightly traveled area but affords fine views north to Moosilauke and higher peaks to the NE and east. Although, I hear the views used to be better and have grown in a bit from past days, but still above average I'd say.

I took the eastern approach from the Three Ponds area. The trail down low was perfect, not very muddy and no snow and was not very well beaten either which was kinda nice. Up higher the mud and rotten snow/ice started to become more consistant. At times the trail reminded me of the Kinsman Pond Tr. with all the water in the footway. The trail was also pretty eroded it seemed, and could use a new waterbar or two. The snow supported my weight still for the most part and only postholed once or twice. It never got very steep at all, pretty moderate grades.

I cleared more than a few blowdowns, everything I could drag out of the way. There's still a few that need ducking under or climbing over, my lack of a saw prevented me clearing those. Also I saw more than a dozen moose tracks in the mud and snow up as high as 3000 feet. Didn't see any moose though today. :(

Getting to the top, I was awarded fine views north to Moosilauke, Franconia/Twin-Bond Ranges, a couple Presies, Carrigain, the list goes on, it was a great day with a cool breeze at the top. Peaks in Vermont such as Killington, Camels Hump, and Mansfield were visible as well. I buchwacked around and also got a view S-SE to Stinson and the lakes region. Needless to say, I took a bunch of pictures.

I really enjoyed the Carr Mtn. summit, it has better views than a few 4k footers I can think of. Good summit to hang around on and look at peaks higher than you, still snow-capped peaks in todays case. If you haven't been, I'd recommend checking it out. It has old fire tower footings too, which is interesting I think. I'd like to go back sometime with a group and show off what I found. :)

Has anyone else stood at the top of Carr, looking south down the ridge, and thought that the next bump looks higher? :confused: It could just be me. At first I thought the path must keep going past the old tower site. But I was happy with where I was so I didnt go far down the herd path in that direction.

6.8 miles, 2100+ feet elevation gain

Pictures Here...enjoy

Last edited:
cantdog said:
When I was there 2 years ago, there was a register inside a clear rubbermaid box next to the cement steps. Did you see it?

I was up on Carr last autumn, and having thoroughly searched the summit area, I was not able to locate the register. Based on some accounts of others, I think it was removed early last summer.

Really nice TR and pix, TDawg -- it proves that you don't need a 4K to really have fun in the mountains. Can't believe those views!

Yea, I sat on those stairs for a while and explored the summit area pretty thoroughly bushwacking around, no cannister.

TDawg said:
Has anyone else stood at the top of Carr, looking south down the ridge, and thought that the next bump looks higher? :confused: It could just be me. At first I thought the path must keep going past the old tower site. But I was happy with where I was so I didnt go far down the herd path in that direction.
I went down that way a few years ago looking for the Learjet, the herd path eventually peters out. Altimeter readings showed the other bumps slightly lower than the tower bump, but they could be wrong.

To help fill in the timeline, I was there last June and the canister was there then. This is a nice little gem of a peak. Sure, the trail could use some work, but I think it sort of adds to the charm!

Great job getting out to a place others don't/won't go to!!! :)

Yea, no real problems.

Only place it could be is down lower in the hardwoods but the trail bed is pretty easy to see and the corridor through the trees is easy to pick out too. It is blazed yellow I think, very faint, but still visible.

I hiked it Friday afternoon. Great summit!! I was on the cement steps to nowhere and also the nearby ledges but found no canister.

The trail is quite wet and muddy, annoyingly so in places high on the trail. Wildflowers starting though, pretty nice .