Scar Trail between Valley Way and Airline

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Today I had planned a rather ambitious trip up the northern Presidentials, but lingering tiredness from Saturday's Twins and Galehead trip caused me to just go to Madison Hut. But I went up using two trails I had never used (i.e. redlining them).

The more interesting by far was the Scar Trail. The WMG suggests that "It provides a route to Mt. Adams that includes the spectacular views from Durand Ridge while avoiding the steepest section of the Airline, and it also has excellent outlooks of its own from Durand Scar". There was substantial low cloud cover at the time I hiked, so I got no views. But the trail itself is very interesting: moist, mossy, steep and very "wild". I enjoyed it very much, will return one day when there are views from Durand Scar.

The other new trail for me was the Airline Cutoff; a rather uninteresting trail that gets you from the Airline to the hut. It allows an interesting approach to the hut by the Airline plus Cutoff, definitely more scenic than the Valley Way.

Thanks for the posting, Mohamed. While I've done the Airline Cutoff many times, have never done Scar Trail. Sound like I need to as I enjoy 'wild' trails.

hikerfast said:
There are a myriad of trails on those northern peaks I'd like to try.
Brookside is a very attractive alternative to the lower part of the Valley Way. If you combine it with Watson Path you will get to the summit of Madison on a beautiful summer weekend without meeting more than a few people.

Many years ago I lost the trail going up Israel Ridge, and have never tried it since. That, plus some of the ravines, is on my TO DO list.

A lot of the trails on the lower slopes of the northern presis were built for the less ambitious members of the Randolph community, they may lead to interesting viewpoints but if you are going to a summit how much do you care for interesting low elevation viewpoints?

Israel ridge trail is the BEST TRAIL IN THE WHITES!! its absolutely gorgeous..as far as the lower trails go, I have been to all the summits, and i think its cool to go thru a nice forest or see some nice lower viewpoints.

Mohamed Ellozy said:
The more interesting by far was the Scar Trail. The WMG suggests that "It provides a route to Mt. Adams that includes the spectacular views from Durand Ridge while avoiding the steepest section of the Airline, and it also has excellent outlooks of its own from Durand Scar". There was substantial low cloud cover at the time I hiked, so I got no views. But the trail itself is very interesting: moist, mossy, steep and very "wild". I enjoyed it very much, will return one day when there are views from Durand Scar.
Scar Trail was part of our (college outing club) "standard" winter route (Valley Way, Scar, Airline) up Adams. Don't think I have ever done it without snow underfoot...

Doug

Mohamed Ellozy said:
Brookside is a very attractive alternative to the lower part of the Valley Way.
Yes, I agree - did it a week or two ago with Jeff V. on our way down from Madison. We were parked a bit north on the highway anyway as Appalchia was in overflow, so we got back to our vehicles a bit quicker. Some nice swimming spots in there as well.

hikerfast said:
There are a myriad of trails on those northern peaks I'd like to try. The upper and lower bruin are a couple I have always passed also. I wonder how many miles of trails are on the northern side of the northern peaks. Probably would take quite a while to do them all.

I added this up last year - it is not as much as you would think - a little over 100 miles.