Another unusual loop over Madison and Adams

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Last month I hiked Madison and Adams going up Madison by the Watson path and Adams by the Star Lake trail. Today I repeated the basic loop with some interesting additions.

I took the Valley Way to the Brookside and immediately after the (easy) brook crossing took the Inlook Trail to Dome Rock and the Upper Inlook. There were excellent views to the south on the many sections of open ridge along that trail. At the Upper Inlook I took the Kelton trail to the Brookside, which I followed to its junction with the Watson path.

My original plan was to take the Lower Bruin back to the Valley Way, as last month I found the section of the Watson Path below treeline very disagreeable, writing:
Below treeline the trail has no redeeming value; it is steep, rocky, rooty and overgrown.
JohnL suggested that the fact that the trail was wet the day I did it may have contributed to my difficulties, so I decided to try it again. The footing was definitely better now that it was not slippery, and the "car washes" I got in the overgrown sections disappeared. Steep and rough, but definitely tolerable. The section above treeline, of course, is the justification for using that trail; 1,000 vertical feet as opposed to a mere 500 by the Osgood Path.

After lunch in the hut I repeated the ascent of Adams by the Star Lake Trail, but descended by Lowe's Path and below Thunderstorm Junction took the Spur Trail all the way to the Randolph path. The section of the Spur Trail above treeline has good views into King's Ravine, but the best views come from three lower outlooks: Knight's Castle a bit above Crag Camp, Crag Camp itself, and Lower Crag a bit below the camp. Chemin des Dames was easy to see, as were some sections of the King Ravine Trail going up the headwall.

The Spur Trail got me down to Randolph Path, from there I once again returned to my car by the Amphibrach.

This is the first time that I have done the Inlook and Kelton trails; they are well worth the slight increase in distance. I now believe that the Watson Path and Star Lake Trail are definitely the best ways to climb Madison and Adams from Appalachia. The upper part of the Spur Trail IMHO is a better descent route than Lowe's Path if going west of King's Ravine.

The excellent weather plus constant views made this an outstanding trip.

i agree about Kelton and Inlook. I often use them on the descent from Madison or Adams because the inlook offers a retrospective view of where i've just been on the peaks. Along the Inlook in June there are ladyslippers, in July wood sorrel, in August blueberries

Mohamed,

Well done. A little bit of variation can make all the difference in the world. I love the constantly changing character of the landscape, whether it be the views, the weather, the light, the conditions. All combine to alter the nature of the experience. Glad you had a second chance at the Watson Path so as to enjoy its serene side.

JohnL

Mohamed Ellozy said:
I now believe that the Watson Path and Star Lake Trail are definitely the best ways to climb Madison and Adams from Appalachia.
I should have noted that using these two trails increases the difficulty of a hike that is not easy in the first place :(

The Inlook, Kelton, Watson route is more scenic than the traditional Valley Way, Osgood route, but definitely harder. The Inlook is somewhat steeper than the Valley Way, and the Watson Path below treeline is both steep and rough. As many have pointed out, the Watson Path is not really a good descent route, though yesterday I met two parties going down it.

Of the three ways up Adams from the hut (Star Lake, Gulfside plus Airline, Gulfside plus Lowe's Path) I would say that Star Lake is by far the steepest, and the only one that requires any scrambling.

Mohamed Ellozy said:
This is the first time that I have done the Inlook and Kelton trails; they are well worth the slight increase in distance.

Just wondering if you've been on the section of Brookside between the Randolph Path and Watson Path? It's one of my favorites.

jfb said:
Just wondering if you've been on the section of Brookside between the Randolph Path and Watson Path? It's one of my favorites.
Fascinating question!! When I first did it a few years ago I decided it was definitely better than the Valley Way in every respect. But inertia is a powerful force, and I almost always go up the Valley Way :(

This year I am making a conscious effort to fight inertia, to do things differently. In the process I have discovered many gems. I first did the Star Lake Trail for redlining, now I love it. Yesterday I did the Spur Trail for the first time in years, I hope to revisit it. And yes, I plan to use the Brookside, Lower Bruin and Valley Way when I am not feeling up to Inlook, Kelton and Watson. there is simply no reason to go up the highway that is the Valley Way (if the lower crossing is doable).