Summer vs Winter Trek to Massive Talus Field on Mt Cabot (03-Sep-2009)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Probably not everyone finds stuff like this interesting. But sometimes I find it fun to do a return hike in the summer months to a place that I’ve only visited in the winter, or vice versa.

Anyway, in mid-March 2009, I accompanied my friend Steve on a hike/bushwhack adventure to the massive talus field on the south end of Mt. Cabot. Then about 6-months later (in early September), I accompanied Zman and NeoAkela on a nearly identical adventure to this same location.

For both the March and the September trek, the Bunnell Notch Trail was taken to the Kilkenny Ridge Trail from which a short 0.1 mile bushwack was launched at about 3,800 ft to the western edge of the talus field. For the March trip, we just reversed ourselves and returned via the same route. For the September trip, we saved some time and miles by bushwhacking from the talus field directly back down to the Bunnell Notch Trail. Due to snow/icy conditions that existed in March, this option was considered too risky since it is rather steep coming off the talus field.

For both the March and September treks, the weather seemed like there should be good views from the top. However, just as it happened in March, hazy viewing conditions existed upon our arrival at the talus field. Oh well! Haze happens!;)

So, for what it’s worth, below are a few side-by-side comparison photos of the March trip versus the September trip. These comparison photos were taken from similar locations, but obviously not from the exact same spot.

TALUS FIELD VIEWED FROM AFAR
1_Summer.JPG
1_Winter.jpg

TALUS FIELD SNAPSHOT
2_Summer.JPG
2_Winter.JPG

ANOTHER TALUS FIELD SNAPSHOT
3_Summer.JPG
3_Winter.JPG

VIEW TOWARD PRESIDENTIALS
4_Summer.JPG
4_Winter.JPG

And finally, there is no photo taken in March to compare to this last photo taken on this warm day in September. This snapshot shows my two hiking buddies basking in the sun on the Mt. Cabot talus field. I soon joined them after the photo was taken. All three of us agreed that it was as good as (or better) than any day at the beach!:)

5_ZZZZ.JPG

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
That was quite a beautiful Talus Beach you brought us to, John! You forgot to mention that after we were done sunbathing near the rock bar, we went surfing down the slope on Talus surfboards! Dude! :cool:

Seriously, though, great location and hike with great company. Love the comparison photos between summer and winter!

Chris,
It was great to meet you and share the hike/whack. You definitely excelled at surfing, especially the long board, aka big rock event- Congrats on getting to the falls!!

Here's a bit of perspective re the size of this talus field

639911618_nyo6x-M.jpg

639912457_BKfYD-M.jpg

Your report and especially the photos remind me, and others too, why we get ourselves out of bed at ungodly hours, drive for hours, suffer cuts, bruises, black flies, mosquitoes, and dirty, sweaty bodies: because the rewards are infinite, and often indescribable!!!:) I wonder what we all should be doing to protect these beautiful, remote spots for the next generation, and the one after that?

Thanks for a great report.

Betsy

Your report and especially the photos remind me, and others too, why we get ourselves out of bed at ungodly hours, drive for hours, suffer cuts, bruises, black flies, mosquitoes, and dirty, sweaty bodies: because the rewards are infinite, and often indescribable!!!:) I wonder what we all should be doing to protect these beautiful, remote spots for the next generation, and the one after that?

Thanks for a great report.

Betsy
Thank you Betsy!
And yes, any pain & suffering are definitely worth it since as you say: “the rewards are infinite, and often indescribable.”

You asked how we can “protect these beautiful, remote spots for the next generation, and the one after that.” I suppose there are lots of different ways we can try to do this. Perhaps one way of perpetuating this gift is to simply spread our enthusiasm for these places to the children (be it our own kids, our nephews, nieces, grandkids, or whatever). Perhaps if they can catch “the fever”, then this will help ensure that they will work to protect these places through their actions in their adult years.