Presi Traverse, buses, kind strangers, the Boot Legger, Hiking Cats, etc.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushwacked

Reaction score
Finally, I'm posting my Oct 7-9 trip cause it took me forever to getting around to sorting through and downloading photos. I know a traverse is old hat to many on this board (my third), but a couple things made this pretty fun.

Fun thing #1: I took the bus from Boston. Concord Trailways from S. Station to Pinkham in about 4 hours at rush hour. Haven't been on a bus in forever but it made it pretty easy seeing my wife was picking me up at the end of the hike to spend a couple nights in Jackson. A little eating, snoozing and reading and we were there. Another person, Rachael, from Cali by way of an NYC business meeting was staying at the lodge too.

I was shocked at how warm it was Wed night at Pinkham. Got to my room at 9:30 and was met by loud snoring. First time in the couple other times I've been there overnight (winter stays) at the lodge where I've shared a room.

Thursday AM, took the shuttle to the Valley Way trailhead. Rachael and another guy (Bob?) from Philly were heading out for Zealand or somewhere. Weather was great, probably about low 40s and very sunny, perfect. Up Valley Way for the first time. (Previous trip went out of Pinkham by way of Jackson, Madison > Osborne, much longer but I'd done them w/o the shuttle around.) Valley Way is really pleasant way to warm up before really hiking. Left my pack and went up Madison. Some youngsters were up there who were not all that friendly, so I just split right out of there.

Now the day was about perfect, little wind, somewhere in the 50s. I cruised up Air Line to Adams (well not really cruised) and had lunch. When I was finishing, a couple were coming up so I left so they could have a summit to themselves too. Picked my way down Israel to Gulfside and cruised along to Edmands Col. The weather kept getting nicer.

I originally left the shorts out of the pack (there's usually snow and rime ice when I'm up there a couple weeks later). Before I left, i made a emergency purchase at EMS and got some convertible pants. So glad I did, it was getting way warm.

On the first day, I was either going to stay on Israel and go down to the Perch, or go over to the Col, leave my pack and "shoot" up Jefferson. Somehow, in my tiny little brain, I pictured the trip from Col to Jefferson being nothing more than a short little detour. Ooops. Got to Jefferson and I'm tired, I'll admit. And I'll get to retrace some of those steps tomorrow, thinks I.

Anyway, it was one of those days with hat on, hat off depending on the breeze and whether you're on a summit or not. As I headed down Raymond to Israel to the Perch, I stuck my hat in my pocket for the umpteenth time. When I reached Perch Path, I went to grab it and, oh sh!t, gone.

For some of you, no problem but I have a shaved head and even 30* nights feel pretty cold without my trusty tobaggin. Anyway, I set up my tent and as the sun goes lower, it gets colder and I'm already able to tell that this will potentially be a fairly uncomfortable night (I was ready to towel up my fleece t-neck). 2 other hikers showed up and went to the lean to. When I was coming back from filtering water, I stopped to say hi. We talked and I asked them where they came from and they'd done a similar route (Went over Madison Gulf from Pinkham). "Did you come down Raymond > Israel?" Yep. "Did you find a hat?" Yep and they had it with them!! I'll tell you, that was sooo cool. Francisco and Alysa (I think), thank you. And when my stove was acting cranky (pilot error, I'd filled it too full of fuel) and I asked if I could boil a pot of water, I ended up eating tortellini and sausage with them.

Fun thing #2: KINDNESS OF STRANGERS. Thank you guys, they made a great night out of what could have been a pretty long and cold evening.

Fun thing #3: Going light(er). I've always been one to pack a kitchen sink. On this trip, I was very careful with food and clothes packing. I also had a new tent out, BD Firstlight at under 3 lbs, was able to use my smaller pack, Dana Jet Pack, and was trying new, somewhat lighter boots, Asolo Fugitives. In the on-the-back dept., I went from my usual high 30s to high 20s before water w/o going spartan and dropped about a pound and a half off the dogs (other pair of kicks are Montrail Moraine AT's). Made for very, very pleasant walking and climbing.

Day 2, went around the cone of Jefferson and over Clay. On other trips up here, I've always skipped Clay. I really loved this mountain. Nothing amazing, just a very pleasant walk with much better views than if one stays on the Gulfside. At lunch up there, day getting even warmer than Thur. Watched the trains go up the Rockpile, God I hate those things.

I skipped Washington. I've been up there a zillion times and no reason to go up again during a very toursty time. I guess to a purist it's no longer a traverse but going up there when it's teaming with tourists ain't alot of fun in my book. Had a snack at Lake of the Clouds and watched the conga line going up and down Crawford.

I also skipped Monroe because 1) I was meeting the Boot Legger and 2) I was worried that Nauman might fill up on Friday, it being Columbus Day weekend. I felt bad about missing that one, that's a great view. Was wrong, incidentally about the tentsites too. Only 2 other platforms in use on Friday night.

Fun thing #4: The Boot Legger. My friend Dave's knees are no longer up to a couple 11-12ish mile days in fractured granite. He is, however, up for cruising up Crawford to Pierce, tooling around up there and meeting me at Nauman. Not only is Dave my best friend, he also brought some very nice Scotch. Enough to set back a spell, relax and watch:
1) Turtle, the caretaker at Nauman. Turtle, who was very, very nice, seemed to have some problems in the woods. Like not having batteries for her flashlight (we gave her some), not having matches for her stove (we gave her some), and not being able to cook dinner on her alcohol stove without lighting her ten platform on fire. She lived in a peculiar, but very sweet world.
2) The hiking Dachsund (spelling) dog. I've never seen a hot dog dog in the mountains. Very cool guy with the dog said the dog loved hiking, why the hell not? But that wasn't as strange as the
3) FIRST HIKING CAT EVER?. This was really freakin' odd. 2 guys w/ a certain je ne sais quois came off Webster to the Hut there with a cat on their shoulder. They disappeared after a while, I think to bootleg a site up on the ridge. Do bears eat cats?

Anyway, the Boot Legger and I had a pretty fine dinner on a pretty fine night with some pretty fine Scotch (Oban?), split out the next morning and passed at least 50 hikers coming up Crawford from Clinton Road. My wife Julie picked me up and next thing you know I had a very fine shower and very fine lunch and very fine nap followed by a very, very fine dinner at a very fine inn in Jackson. Her parents were watching our 2 1/2 year old. Not a bad way to cap off a couple nights in the mountains with a date weekend with my wife, no kids included.

Anyway, that's all I got. Here's some pics I hope work. Cheers.

Presidential Slide (not Kerry and Bush)

I enjoyed reading your report & seeing the pictures!

Your encounter with cat-toting hikers is definitely unusual but wasn't a first... there was a guy that thru-hiked the AT with his cat (either the cat's name or his trailname was Ziggy, I forget which)... I think he thru-hiked in the early 90's.

-- Ivy

Awesome pix! And I loved the bit about the cat. I've always wondered if the tougher of my two cats would be up for a hike, but somehow I can't imagine her taking to a leash.

Maybe a new breed of reoccuring thread has been born:

"My cat doesn't bother anyone. Is it okay to have him on the trail with me off the leash?" :D

Great trip report, Bushwacked! Sound like it was a splendid trip all around...

spencer

Great report and pics, but the next time you see a hiking cat, you get right up in it's face and get more information! Is the cat a 46er? Working on it?Was it wearing jeans or meowing away into a hands-free cellphone? And how does it deal with ladders? C'mon, at least a photo!!

And imagine what would happen if unleashed dog meets unleashed cat on the trail?

Spot say "OK"

I just had a talk with my cat "spot," and we are going to try a hike.

She's a house cat though, and the only way I could get her to sign-on was to promise to do Washington and give her a chance to meet Nin at the Obs (is he fixed?).

Now I gotta find a cat-carrier at REI (she is also quite lazy).

cb

Hiking cats

When I worked at Zool (Zealand Hut) in the late 60s, we had a hut cat, Braumeister the Fourth, who liked to hike and on one occasion hiked all the way to Madhouse (Madison Hut) accompanying some human hikers. When our friends on the croo at Madhouse relayed on the radio asking us what to do about our cat, we told them to send Braumeister back with the next group of hikers heading south. Brau arrived three days later. The farthest Brau hiked west that summer was Ghoul (Galehead Hut). Brau spent most of her time at the hut terrorizing mice, and a few dogs.