The Beartooth Mountains

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pudgy_groundhog

Reaction score
This August we made our third annual trip to Cooke City, MT to rendezvous with my parents. Cooke City is nestled in the Beartooth Mtns near the MT/WY border, five miles from the northeast entrance of Yellowstone. It's a perfect base for fishing, hiking, exploring Yellowstone, wildlife watching, scenic drives, and enjoying the impressive display of wildflowers. The only drawback this year was the insane amount of mosquitoes (huge snowpack this year and a late melt, unfortunately the mosquitoes were behind schedule).

All the pictures are posted here and I wanted to share a few favorites.

On our way from Billings to Cooke City we stopped to hike Bald Peak in the Shoshone National Forest (off of the Chief Joseph scenic highway, not too far from Cody). No trail - just made our way along the ridge line. It's a gradual slope - estimated 1200 feet elevation in 1.5 to 2.0 miles (varies depending on where you park - we drove on the forest road until it felt too risky to keep going with the rental car). While our approach was an easy slope, the other sides are four thousand foot cliffs into the Clark's Fork Canyon. A picture of Steve near the summit and the interesting landscape showing remains of a forest fire:

105_bald_summit_steve_clouds.jpg

108_bald_trees_bw.jpg

Steve did an overnight trip to Aero Lakes to attempt a few peaks. While we knew snowpack was higher than normal this year, he was still surprised to see just how much snow was up there. Below is a picture from the same area last year when we backpacked there:

123a_aero_lakes_comparison.jpg

While the late snow melt was bad for mosquitoes, it was great for wildflowers. These were taken on Lulu Pass Road, just outside of Cooke City:

124_sunflowers.jpg

138_lulu_lupines_mtns.jpg

A highlight was Norah's first fishing trip. She was very excited to fish and Grandpa felt the pressure of delivering some fish. Norah was decked out in her little waders and princess life jacket and got to reel in six trout (including a "monster rainbow" as she was telling everybody who would listen). This picture is from fishing in Long Lake, right off of the Beartooth Highway:

141_fishing_dad_norah_water.jpg

Thanks for looking! I have additional pictures to post from Yellowstone and the Wind River Range. It was a fantastic trip!

Thanks for sharing!

It looks like you had a great trip/reunion! It looks like there was something there for everyone in the family. Especially your daughter! I'll keep it in mind for next summer for our family. I visited Yellowstone and Beartooth region years ago and it would be nice to return.

It's somewhat re-assuring to see the snow lingering. Perhaps glaciers don't always have to be shrinking. Perhaps there are years when they expand too?

I was thinking the same. I guess years like this are good to have to help replenish the dwindling snow fields and glaciers!

Wow, a bit of snow still up there! We passed by Aero Lakes on our way to Granite Peak in August '09, when it looked more like the 2010 photo. Lovely area. Reminded me of the High Sierra... with grizzlies instead of black bears. :D

Kathy and Steve, your trip reports are a healthy addiction, and I always look forward to them. And I've looked at your photo website many many times.

I have one simple question: Does it EVER rain on your vacations?!?!? :)

As always, beautiful jealousy-inspiring photos. I believe Charles Kuralt labeled that area (from Lamar Valley out through the Beartooths) "the prettiest drive in America".

Thank you Billy. I've enjoyed yours as well!

Ha ha - well, lady luck has been on our side for many of our vacations in regards to rain, although there have been some notable exceptions. :p

Beautiful area! Beautiful pictures!!

We went on a WY roadtrip last month with intentions on camping along the Beartooth Highway.......only to find all campgrounds closed because they were still covered in snow!! Then we travelled to Cooke City, MT hoping to camp there...........only to find the 3 campgrounds right outside of town were closed to tents because of a grizzly attack the previous summer. So, onward to Yellowstone we went!! It all worked out as we scored 2 nights in Yellowstone the very same day we drove in!! What a beautiful trip!! You just can't take enough pictures!! :)

Beautiful area! Beautiful pictures!!

We went on a WY roadtrip last month with intentions on camping along the Beartooth Highway.......only to find all campgrounds closed because they were still covered in snow!! Then we travelled to Cooke City, MT hoping to camp there...........only to find the 3 campgrounds right outside of town were closed to tents because of a grizzly attack the previous summer. So, onward to Yellowstone we went!! It all worked out as we scored 2 nights in Yellowstone the very same day we drove in!! What a beautiful trip!! You just can't take enough pictures!! :)

Love your avatar! Crazy snow! Glad it worked out for you with camping. Beautiful part of the country. :)