Goose Eye Mt. Wright Trail - July 9

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
My friend Tom and I pulled up to the Wright Trail parking area at 8:45 am on Saturday, July 9. I had jumped at the chance to accept Sherpa Kroto's VFTT invitation to join him on this hike up Goose Eye Mountain in the Maine Mahoosucs. It had rained all night and was presently coming down in buckets. There were two pickup trucks in the lots with people in them and another empty car.

As soon as we arrived, a large man pops out of one of the trucks. I immediately recognized this person as Sherpa K, from his avatars and VFTT Gathering photos. He said hello to us and basically exclaimed that the weather was far from perfect (those of you who know Sherpa can guess the exact words). He then introduced us to VFTTers Swamp and Sean?/Shawn? (I'll call him Sean). We talked about canceling the hike, but figured we should wait it out a bit and see if the rain subsides and if others come to join.

At about 9:15, the rain let up a bit. Tom said that he was going, as he did not want to go back to his wife having chickened out on the hike. We then somewhat reluctantly agreed and left in the rain about 9:30.

We followed the Wright Trail along a churning Goose Eye Brook, which was more like the Cribworks in the Penobscot. The trail was soaked, with lots of puddles and small streams appearing from nowhere. We did a mile of generally easy hiking, stopping occasionally to admire and photograph the many gorges and cascades and came to our first major stream crossing. This tiny brook was a raging torrent, but we rock-hopped it fairly easily. After another half mile, we came upon a major feeder stream. Swamp immediately bounds to a protruding boulder and then hops to the bank, with a few inches to spare. After some trepidation, we all chose Swamp's route and made it across without getting wet. Heart is now beating fast, adreneline pumping. Hangover from previous night's beer is long forgotten. We got to the North/South Fork junction at 2.2 miles +/- and decided to take the North ascent. That meant crossing a major stream. We chose various routes and everyone once again stayed dry. I took in a shoe full and cursed having not brought gaiters. Sherpa picked the best route, sighting a slightly submerged rock in the middle that none of us saw.

Up the North Fork we went. It was a series of death defying leaps across 3 or 4 more swollen stream crossings. One by one, all of us got wet feet. Sherpa and Sean were now wading in thigh deep water instead of boulder hopping, taking less risk than the other three of us. During one crossing, Swamp stated that we should videotape a "Don't do this at home" show....

We came upon a cirque that had some decent VFTC (Views from The Cirque), including some white lines going down cliffs, that were gorgeous waterfalls created from the flooding rains. After a steep ascent in sometimes driving rain, we made our way up to a flume coming down from the ridgeline, that had a fifty foot drop below. Made that one again with only wet feet and went up and crossed it again. This time, however, we had to cross a single wet, mossy plank that was high over the stream. A fall might have been the end. It should be noted that there were once two planks here and one had cracked. It was kind of scary wondering what caused the crack and whether the remaining plank was sufficiently strong. It did hold and we all made it. I refused to let my mild acrophobia get the best of me.

We then did another steep section and an easy stretch and got to the ridgeline on the AT, turning left. The AT was a small river, flowing down as we ascended the ledges and well constructed wooden stairs up to East Peak Goose Eye. This open summit had no VFTT, due to the clouds and fog. After a tricky descent down wet ledge, we attacked the larger West Peak. It too was clouded in, no views. Decided to lunch on the summit and Sean proudly changed his socks, while some of us changed shirts to keep from "losing core", as Swamp stated. We then descended the summit, running into three soaked young backpackers and went down the South Fork.

The South Fork goes up and down the ridgeline, often popping into the open. Views would have been awesome in fair weather. We used our imaginations. Once descending into the woods below the ridge, the south fork was also a major river, with Sherpa K. stating that he should have brought his fly rod for the hike. We only had one water crossing, at the very end, just before the North/South intersection. This was a long, but doable crossing. Did lots of photos of the crossings here. Can't wait to see the photos!

We then headed back the orginal 2.2 miles. The first two daunting stream crossings had receded a bit and we did them effortlessly, not worrying much about getting a bit wetter. We then finished the hike around 4:30, 7 hours later. Sean then invited us to his truck where he had cold beers for all, that tasted heavenly. Thanks again, Sean!

We then went to the Sunday River Brew Pub for a quick bit and beer, said goodbye and Tom and I returned to our camps in Rangeley.

Sherpa, Swamp and Sean: It was a pleasure to meet you and to share an challenging adventure on a cool trail. Thanks especially for the fascinating information on some VFTT folks and the Gatherings. Hope our paths cross soon!

Regards, Marty

sounds like a challenging hike w/ all the rain that fell...great report. looking forward to the pics!

Marty, I know I speak for Swamp and Sean in saying it was a pleasure meeting and hiking with you and Tom. Very happy that we sucked it up and headed up again. I definitely agree - it was an adventure, and I hope my pics of the water will show that (when I find more than 2 minutes to get to them!)

Let's do it again soon!

I guess I met a few VFTTers and didin't know it. I was on my way up when you guys were headed down. We had a nice discussion as to whether I should risk taking the north fork solo... I started up the north fork but turned back as I didn't feel entirely comfortable with a stream crossing. I decided it only took one slip and I was done for.

It was still a good hike and now I have an excuse to go back. It was nice talking to you guys and I enjoyed reading the trip report.

I'd like to do this hike sometime but I usually look for solar power ;)

That is a great loop, but challenging when it's wet! I haven't been up there since they re-routed the AT to avoid what I thought was a cute little scramble to the summit from the North fork.

Carole - give a shout when you go for this hike if you want company. I'll join you if I have the day off.
-veg

injektilo said:
I guess I met a few VFTTers and didin't know it.
Funny: I had that nagging feeling when I left you. I usually ask if hikers have heard about VFTT, but knew you had an agenda and wanted to get up there.

Some of the stream crossings were a bit dicey. I found my "courage" waning a bit with each one. Still, a very nice day! Hope to see you on the trails again soon! I hike in Maine a lot - drop me a line! (Meader Ridge in 2 weeks)

carole: solar power for a nice warm day would be awesome for this hike. There are a LOT of excellent swimming holes on this hike, all close to the trailhead (one before it, the others within 10 minutes of the start beside the trail)

Last edited:
SherpaKroto said:
Some of the stream crossings were a bit dicey. I found my "courage" waning a bit with each one. Still, a very nice day! Hope to see you on the trails again soon! I hike in Maine a lot - drop me a line! (Meader Ridge in 2 weeks)

I'll definately let you know... I'm always up for hike. Keep me posted as to when you'll be in the area.